Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm adding a pressure gauge to front forks on my 83 GL1100 Interstate. Have bought the OEM fork cap with valve and will replace with the gauge. Still using crossover hose. My question is what does the pressure peak at when fork compresses in bumps? If I'm running 20 psi does it bounce to 60 or higher? Will be using a glycerin filled gauge to deaden the pressure chatter while riding, but it's mainly for changing pressure between solo and two up riding and being sure no leaks. I have gauge options of 0-30 psi, 0-60 psi, 0-100 psi, and 0-160 psi. At those two higher ranges the gauge scale gets to small to accurately set correct pressure. I'm afreaid at 0-30 psi I might peg the gauge just in normal riding, must less hitting a bump. Anyone ridden with a guage mounted?

Reactions: limpy45

·
Registered
239 Posts
That is a VERY good question!! I have ran up to 21 psi in my 80 GL1100 with vetter sidecar attached, mostly just to keep it up and riding half decent. I would put it up on the center stand and then fill to 21 psi but never checked it when on the wheels. I would guess the 0-60 psi would put you in the ball park. Only one way to find out I guess. My front end with the side car had a lot more load than with out. When I took the car off it sat way up in the air. Looked like it wanted to take off!!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,167 Posts
On my '84, I found that about 4 lbs was almost too much.
get a gauge that can easily read from 0-10 lbs.
I did not run a gauge full time, I had a small hand held air compressor with a Digital Readout on it...
2.5 lbs was the most comfortable ride for me.

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
On my '84, I found that about 4 lbs was almost too much.
get a gauge that can easily read from 0-10 lbs.
I did not run a gauge full time, I had a small hand held air compressor with a Digital Readout on it...
2.5 lbs was the most comfortable ride for me.
That was a 1200, not an 1100, very different.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, everyone. Limpy is right and only $15 for the gauge. Easy enough to change once I replace the fork cap. And AZgl1800 did make me think about something. My little hand pump with gauge screws on schrader valve. I can at least get moving down the driveway and hit my brakes. Will send results later.

I'm also envious. Limpy. My 2nd Wing was the first year for Aspencade '82 and added a Vetter coffin year later.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts