Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I had a couple of times when my bike would not start. Sometimes it would start to turn over, then abruptly stop and I just got the solenoid click. Other times it was just the click.

It seamed to be only when the bike had sat for a day or two. I thought it might be the starter, so I would tap it (gently) with a nylon hammer and it would then start.

After reading up on the forum, I decided to remove the starter, clean it up, then try it. I followed the step-by step instructions on a previous thread in another forum (it came with pictures) and completed the re & re in about 2.5hr.

When I put it back in, I got the same problem, only this time tapping does not work.

I tried jumping it with my car (turned off) with the neg to the frame, pos to the pos, then neg to the frame of the bike, bike ignition on but kill switch set to off, then with a screwdriver in the jaws of the positive, touched the connector on the starter. The result was a spark but no action.

I have checked and tightened the solenoid leads on the solenoid and the battery. The battery measures 11.8V but when I hit the start button, it drops to 7.8V.

Any suggestions on where to go next. I leave for the US in 3 days.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

There are only a few things it can be, right? If you are sure the motor is not hydro-locked from fuel (take the spark plugs out, kill switch off, rags over the holes and try again with the jumper cables directly to the starter and frame). Also make sure the ground cable at the frame is corrosion free (remove, wire brush it and reinstall). Then it should for sure at least spin over. If it does, then you only have the battery, solenoid, wiring and start button to check. I use Walmart batteries and I only get a couple years out of them - I'd change it if I had any question about age or ability to supply enough power.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

If you've spun the stud when removing the cable from the starter..you've broken the connection inside.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

brianinmaine wrote:
There are only a few things it can be, right? If you are sure the motor is not hydro-locked from fuel (take the spark plugs out, kill switch off, rags over the holes and try again with the jumper cables directly to the starter and frame). Also make sure the ground cable at the frame is corrosion free (remove, wire brush it and reinstall). Then it should for sure at least spin over. If it does, then you only have the battery, solenoid, wiring and start button to check. I use Walmart batteries and I only get a couple years out of them - I'd change it if I had any question about age or ability to supply enough power.
i think i would do the above first . than either fully charge the battery or replace it . battery voltage reading should be 13.8 for a fully charged battery at rest. dropping to 7.8 is no good. not enough voltage to fire off the ingion system and start.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks to all who assisted.

Brianinmain, your comment about the motor being hydro-locked hit a cord. I remembered reading something about that in a previous post (sometimes it takes me a bit) so tried removing the plugs trick. While I was doing that, I also put a charger on the battery. When I tried it again, wooosh... the starter kicked in and the rag went flying across my garage along with about what seamed like 3oz of fuel. Tried it again and it did it again. The starter, solenoid, and battery were doing there thing.

Put it all back together and started the bike. Lots of smoke from the left exhaust for the first few minutes, but then all was good.:thumbsup:

Took it for a good run and it ran flawlessly. :action: Now for the test.

Leaving it for the night and will try starting it again.

Thanks so much for the replies and assistance.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

hope you turned the fuel valve to the off postion while your letting it set.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Racetimr wrote:
Thanks to all who assisted.

Brianinmain, your comment about the motor being hydro-locked hit a cord. I remembered reading something about that in a previous post (sometimes it takes me a bit) so tried removing the plugs trick. While I was doing that, I also put a charger on the battery. When I tried it again, wooosh... the starter kicked in and the rag went flying across my garage along with about what seamed like 3oz of fuel. Tried it again and it did it again. The starter, solenoid, and battery were doing there thing.

Put it all back together and started the bike. Lots of smoke from the left exhaust for the first few minutes, but then all was good.:thumbsup:

Took it for a good run and it ran flawlessly. :action: Now for the test.

Leaving it for the night and will try starting it again.

Thanks so much for the replies and assistance.:thumbsup:
If it was hydrolocked, with what? Not likely liquid gasoline, how would it get into the engine? The Goldwing uses a fuel pump, so gas can't just drain from the tank into the carbs? Can it? Also what about the smoke from the left side? What caused that? What color was it? If it was white you may have a head gasket leaking. If it was thin and black, then it probably was gas. I'm stuck with fuel injection, so I haven't got the carbed GW fuel system quite figured out yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.