Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've got an 83 GL1100 Interstate. Never expected that I'd be riding it in NOVEMBER living in Massachusetts, but here I am...

On my highway ride home the other night, I heard a high pitch squeal as I exited the freeway. It definitely changes with RPM. Thought, at first, it might be a dry tach cable, but upon closer inspection at a stop light, it seems that it is coming directly from the tach housing.

I'd like to use the "straw" on a can of PB Blaster or WD40 to shoot a small amount into the tachometer, but I was concerned that the "spray" may get past the internal components and stain the inside of the viewing glass.

Can anyone tell me if my idea would work and if it would indeed dull my view on the tach? I realize that it's not all that vital to be able to view a tach, but a little OCD when it comes to the asthetics comes into play here. . .

I've also considered just tearing it apart in a couple of weeks when I tuck her away for the winter.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

Sorry, I don't know the answer to your question, but was wondering, just to make sure, if you've tried removing the cable at the tach head . . . maybe the problem is with the cable

Chuck

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Actually, no...I hadn't yet removed the cable. I tried physically moving the cable by hand while it was happening and didn't notice any change. But when I put my hand onto the tach housing, I could feel the vibrations through the housing. That's what is making me think it's withing the tach housing itself.

I figured, though, that when I removed the cable to shoot some lubricant into the housing,it couldn't hurt toplace a few drops into the cable as well, since I already have it off...

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

...don't use PB or WD-40 in there. The petroleum can possible harm plastic.

Cold does strange-stuff to our bikes. Lets you know where maintenance needs to happen that otherwise would go unnoticed in warmer climate. I'd just wait it out 'til you park the bike and then tackle rermoving the cluster from the bike and opening the back of the tach up for servicing. Just ride it out until then. Won't be long and you're gonna park it anyway, right?

Use a Teflon/Graphite/Lithium lube in the housing. Those should have a alcohol carrier for the actual lube product and not a petroleum carrier.

It's the plastic bits that you're trying to protect by avoiding petro's...

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
imported post

mine is doing the same thing since the cold weather ...and I`m still rideing .
I have taken mine off and lubed it with graphite ...it helped a while then the noise started back ...
my wing rides so quiet I can`t stand the noise ...so I just unscrewed the cable out of the back at a fuel stop the other day ....no more noise ....do I really need a tach no .
but I will fix it ...only because I like seeing the rpms during warm ups .

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thank you, Captain, for your sound advice. I can deal with it until it's time to tuck her away...

I also agree with 10man on the watching the RPMs during warm-ups...which I definitely have to do at 5:00 in the morning if I wanna ride it to work. . . (I hate taking the train, but have to do it in the rain and/or snow)

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

I watch 'em too. I've grown accustom to listening to it by now though.

I've thought of going to an electronic tach. Got plansfor that fuel-pump area anyways. :smiler:

Edit: Lately, I give it about ten minutes warm-up time. Got down to 28°F last night.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
imported post

Capt I was a little sad I didn`t have an electric fuel pump at first ....afer rethinking it ....maybe this old style fuel pump isn`t so bad after all ...the electric pump could go out on the road somewhere .
this old style fuel pump doesn`t just shut off like an electric one can , it may leak fuel from the diaphram one day ..but it will make it home it won`t just shut off .

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

I've been running a electric pump with no problems. The pump I'm running is labled as a "Mr. Gasket", but I've seen the exact same pumps labled by others as well. Some for over twice the retail price I paid. A stout pump IMO. Not worried.

I'm going to drive something else off the back of that cam. :smiler:

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
imported post

Are you sure it's the tach and not the speedometer? I just had the same issue but it was the speedometer, I could pull in the clutch and coast and still had the noise. That is until the speedometer cable broke! Got one on order now.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Disconnected the tach cable at the tachometer on my way home from work today...The noise was becoming VERY annoying.

The noise stopped immediately. Put some tape over the tach housing hole and on the end of the cable to prevent dirt entering (there ain't no snow or ice on the ground yet, so Ima still ridin').....

Thank you all for the advice. I will take the tach apart when I put her away for the winter.......:coollep:

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,211 Posts
imported post

For sure it's the tachometer, I've had a number of speedo's go out on me in the same way, never actually a tach but believe me that squealing you can here and feel is plastic gears grinding together. there are about 20 of them available right now on ebay from about $20 on up.

·
Premium Member
1,356 Posts
imported post

I had the noise problem along with the needle dancing with mine when I got it. I pulled the the Tach head off and turned it over then sprayed some wd40 I didn't spray a lot because I was concerned with it going through to the face, it stopped the noise and needle dance for a few months. So I did it again with Howes Lube http://www.howeslube.com/multipurpose.php not the aerosol and that was about 2 years ago and it's still fine.
It might be worth a try before you replace it.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
imported post

hi,my 83 goldwing did the same thing. i un screwed cable from tach. sprayed wd 40 with straw into tach thru opening.this took care of my problem. hope this helps hoghideman

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,211 Posts
imported post

kah92340 wrote:
I had the noise problem along with the needle dancing with mine when I got it. I pulled the the Tach head off and turned it over then sprayed some wd40 I didn't spray a lot because I was concerned with it going through to the face, it stopped the noise and needle dance for a few months. So I did it again with Howes Lube http://www.howeslube.com/multipurpose.php not the aerosol and that was about 2 years ago and it's still fine.
It might be worth a try before you replace it.
Then you are a very lucky Dude Man, sprayed mine continually with CorrosionX ($16 for an 8 oz can) only fixed it for a day or so, it has always helped me in other predicaments, yours just had to be savable right there and then, most people I know fixed it by buying a lightly used instrument cluster off of ebay, mine cost me a little over a $100, but it's silent now, does what it's supposed to do and is wonderful. I love it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.