Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have run Sea Foam and adjusted the valves. I still hear a light tapping sound after the engine gets warm. It almost sounds like a spark plug wire, jumping spark. Engine is running fine at all rpm's with no missing or hesitation.Ihave changed to a 20-50w oil and can still hear it. Any ideas? Or is this normal and i'm just driving myself crazy? Thanks for the help.

Billy

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

If it sounds like a sparking cap or lead, try wiggling the leads and caps around. This will make the sparking sound different when you get to the right lead or cap. Another way is to spray the leads with WD40, this makes the sparking stop for a minute or so.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

bmoore106 wrote:
I have run Sea Foam and adjusted the valves. I still hear a light tapping sound after the engine gets warm. It almost sounds like a spark plug wire, jumping spark. Engine is running fine at all rpm's with no missing or hesitation.Ihave changed to a 20-50w oil and can still hear it. Any ideas? Or is this normal and i'm just driving myself crazy? Thanks for the help.
Billy, get yourself either a mechanics stethoscope or 3' long piece of garden, then use that to listen to different areas on the engine. Using the above you should be able to pinpoint the problem area. Once you can tell us the exact location the noise is emanating from we can probably then advise you on what it is.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
imported post

Good suggestion Twisty! It could be sticking or dirty carb slides. I have seen them make noise and still run smooth.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I can't hear it at idle. Only when the throttle is advanced do I hear it. I have listened to valves, carbs, timing belts and fuel pump. I can't hear anything that sounds the same. I thought maybe a spark plug was breaking down so I replaced the plugs. I have not had it out for a ride yet. I will update later. Thanks for the help.

Billy

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

I would bet that the noiseyou hear is a slight exhaust leak at the O ring where the pipe meets the head. It would only be heard while advancing the throttle and would be louder when cold. It should become less noticeable when the engine is hot and the copper O ring expands. If this is the problem it can sometimes be cured by GENTLY retorquing the exhaust bolts. Otherwise replace the O rings.

Dadoo

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

The tappets are always a bit audible on the GL1100, but Dadoo has a good point as well. Little leaks at the headers can sound like valve noise, worth looking at.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

i think its normal mine taps also thought it was a bad plug wire however i water soked them and turned of the lights in my garage and expected a light show / nothing happened

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Just finished syncing carbs. Rode for about 45 minutes. The tapping is gone. One more problem fixed.

Dadoo, I ordered the exhaust gasket and will replace them as well next time I adjust the valves. Thanks to all for the help.

Billy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.