Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have oil leaking from the tell tale hole in the engine case below the water pump.

I changed the oil and filter yesterday (10W40) and I do not believe it was leaking before that. (did not see any evidence of leaking). Today, I noticed oil under the bike after riding for about 250 km. Checked the oil filter and drain plug but no leakage there. Then noticed a drip of oil near the tell tale hole. There was no evidence of oil streaking on the bottom of the case so I am wondering if it leaking only when the engine is at rest?

Does anyone have a likely source for the leak? I am thinking water pump seals or o rings?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

Javelin

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
imported post

I had the exact same thing happen. No leak. Changed oil & filter and then had oil leaking out the hole. Lasted about a week and now it's stopped.:? I've gone about 1500 mi. since and not even a damp spot.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
imported post

Yeah, I'm guessing oil seals on/around the water pump. Just do a search for "oil weep hole" or something similar...lots of helpful info to point you in the right direction.

Oh, and welcome! :)

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

If the leak started with the oil change, I suggest, wipe off the area, if you replaced the oil filter housing and center bolt o rings check the tightness. Park bike on centerstand check agin later. Parked on theside stand a leak from the housing will run over and drip from the weep hole area. If you didn't replace the filter housing and centerbolt o rings do so and start over. Not replacing the o rings can give you a slight leak that varies with engine temp. A loose fit can as well.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.