Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Rear Master Cylinder.JPG

I'm trying to rebuild my rear master cylinder and I can't remove the brake line off the master cylinder. I've tried heat and penetrating oil with no luck and now have damaged the nut.
Is it possible to rebuild the cylinder in place without removing the brake line?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

·
Administrator
27,541 Posts
Reactions: Sniper60

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suppose it is possible but difficult. Have you tried vice grips on the line? I have a set made just for that; IRWIN Tools VISE-GRIP Original Locking Wrench with Wire Cutter (item #8) - Locking Jaw Pliers - Amazon.com
I have tried a needle nose vise grip and it just slipped. It's in a very tight space, I'm not sure the grips you suggest will fit and turn.
What would happen if I cut the brake line and took out the master cylinder. Would I be able to install a new fitting on the brake line?

·
Administrator
27,541 Posts
I have tried a needle nose vise grip and it just slipped. It's in a very tight space, I'm not sure the grips you suggest will fit and turn.
What would happen if I cut the brake line and took out the master cylinder. Would I be able to install a new fitting on the brake line?
You probably wouldn't have enough to work with. That line goes to a proportioning valve on the front of the swing arm, you may be able to disconnect it there.

·
Registered
590 Posts
You can always get new solid lines made they are a standard METRIC pipe union used on most japanese bikes and Honda cars, still work with 3/16 pipe

·
Registered
2 Posts
First let me mention that normally when loosening brake lines, a "fitting or tubing wrench" is best used because they fully encircle the nut holding the steel line into the brake wheel cylinder. When this appears to be rounded off, it can be difficult to remove and therefore requiring special tools of the trade as mentioned. Vise-grips may do the trick if you can get close enough although cutting and re-flaring the line, (double flair if possible) would be the best choice do to the fact at some point the line in question will again need to be removed in the event of a brake cylinder failure, rebuild or replacement is required? Good luck.

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
Cut it, remove the master cylinder and place it on the work bench. Find a proper set of fitting wrenches as Notewriter suggests and then you'll have the proper tool to disconnect the brake line at the proportioning valve like Dave suggests. Replacing the damaged brake line is simple with new fittings and using your old one as an example.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts