Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a small issue here I need to find a solution for. I just put a new tire on the back of my 83. It was rubbing on the brake bar as well as the driveline tube. I took it to a shop where they fixed the brake bar issue (put a small kink in the bar), but the tire is still rubbing on the driveline tube. Now it's not rubbing hard, and it only contacts it about 1/8th of the rotation (bent wheel?), and it BARELY rubs it. So what I wanted to do is either find a way to adjust the angle of the wheel or pull the wheel and grind that plate down just a little.

Any opinions here?

And yes, the tire is the size that was spec'd for the bike. So were not sure what the deal is here.

·
Administrator
26,187 Posts
imported post

There is no adjustment. Are you sure you didn't get an oversize tire?

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
imported post

You could only have this problem if all the spacers were left out and the axle set wrong. Or Wrong tyre.

·
Premium Member
12,781 Posts
imported post

I run a 150/80 B16 Venom on the rear of my 83 I . I put a spacer washer on the right side of the wheel , between the wheel brg and the drive housing spacer . I want to say its .125 but I cant be positive . It was put on a few yrs ago . After adding the spacer I have perhaps a .100 clearence on the drive shaft tube . I then had to "adjust " the brake torque arm for clearence on the left side . This bike was ridden 2 up with a heavy load . It never has rubbed . Sorry I dont have photo documents .

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Well I didn't remove the drive housing, just pulled the axle out. I did take photos of each part of the wheel removal so if I forgot, I would have a photo to go by. So I know it was put together the way it was. Now if the PO had done it wrong, that is possible. Is there a document or image to show exactly how the rear wheel assy goes on? Like washers, bearings, ect? I may need to double check that.

·
Premium Member
12,781 Posts
imported post

So you have the correct size : 140/90 B16 77H ? In the drive housing there is a pipe spacer . Thats the only thing to set the spacing on the drive tube side of the tire . But if I understand you have rubbing on both sides ? That leads me to believe you have a larger (wider tire ).

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

could a radial instead of a bias tire case this to happen ? 83 1100 (all) call for a bias tire.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I will check the tire size here in a few. Pipe spacer? Don't remember seeing that. I'll check the other two bikes and see if there is one there. That may have been left off when the PO was tearing it down.

·
Premium Member
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Anyone know where I can find an exploded view of the rear wheel assy at all?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.