Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I HAVE A 1983 THAT MAKES A GRINDING OR CHATTERING NOISE WHEN ACCELERATING AT LOWER RPM'S. PRETTY NASTY SOUND. THE BIKE WILL NOT MAKE THIS NOISE IF YOU KEEP THE RPM'S UP A BIT - JUST DOES NOT SEEM NORMAL.

I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INFORMATION OR ADVICE YOU CAN PROVIDE. THANKS, JIM

·
Administrator
27,936 Posts
imported post

Yep, that's pretty normal.

·
Premium Member
12,868 Posts
imported post

I believe the noise you refer is the primary chain rattle . It is common in the four cylinder family of Goldwing . It is cureable though . Genreraly if the carburetors are set correctly with a Synchronization Gauge set , and the carbs are in good working order the noise will nearly disappear .

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

just to be sure.. what rpm range makes the noise? yes as they said, its normal. and gets worse when the carbs are out of balance.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
imported post

teaches you to not pop the clutch! but to run it out smoooooth... besides.. sounds cool when you take off with a bit of throttle! i use it as my indicator that i'm not working the clutch right..

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Mine sounds like a loud ratchet if I let out the clutch below 2 grand and get on the throttle. Doesn't seem to affect anything, but sure is embarassing. I find it very hard to believe it sounded like this when new.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

Mine was sounding just like yours. It could either be the carbs are out of sync or possibly a clutch rattle. I hadto revmine up to 2K to take off. My problem was my carbs were a little out of sync. Just finished resyncing them tonight and boy what a difference.

Steve

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

Do I sync the carbs at idle? Can I find the carb fittings at an autoparts store? Jim

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

Yes, you want to sync them at idle. Any inbalance will show up there and is pretty critical. A difference of only .5 HC can really make a difference in the "Knocking" or "Clattering" at low speed. I'mpretty sure you can get the fittings at the auto parts store, but that is only part ofwhat you need.

You can put together a set yourself from gauges from Harbor Freight, tubing from the parts house and aquarium air adjusters from Wally World. Do a search on building your own sync set and you'll find instructions on "How To" build the gauge set and the proper proceedure for syncing the carbs.

I've got four bikes and thought it was a wise investment about 6 years ago to go ahead and spend $45 for the sync gauge kit from JC Whitney. The shop wanted $75 to sync the carbs so I figured it was a no-brainer for me to justify the purchase. It came with all the parts and pieces so no sweat. I have used them 2-3 times a year on each of the bikes every time I adjust the valves or pull the carbs for a cleaning. As I said I have 4 bikes and I bought the guages to sync the carbs on my CB350F after rebuilding them.

No matter whether you build or buy or borrow your set, remember to take the time to calibrate all the gauges by using the one cylinder and recording the readings to factor in the difference when you are reading each cylinder. On mine, I simply unscrew the face and adjust the calibration screw to match the readings on all gauges to carb #3 before I start.

Steve

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.