Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Came in from out of town and noticed this morning I had a tiny leak around the right valve cover gasket on the underside. Could be really bad cold weather we've had and not riding as much. I do crank it and let it warm up and keep the battery tender on it.

I also have some blistering in the right side where the PO let water stand after washing it. See the pic.

I'm going to replace the gasket and head bolts rubber.

Now the ??????

Are the chrome valve covers able to flipped over and still fit? The bottom has no blistering and is in perfect shape. It'd be nice if I could flip the really nice side up and put that blistered side down on the bottom out of site. THen just flip the inserts.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Rats.Your right. About a 1/4" closer on top. Oh well, just replace gaskets. JR

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
imported post

Both my valve cover gaskets are leakingon the bottom also. Is this common or might they have been put on incorrectly by the PO?

Dave

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Ok,, now I'm blind. Somebody likes their chrome!!!

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I didnt have any seeping till it got really cold. Its very small but an irritant knowing its there, no drops just a seep. I think for re-chroming cost these days I could replace them in the spring. Probably find a good one during the winter months on ebay alot cheaper. Thanks for pointing out the difference in the bolts,mine is a different aftermarket cover so its a little harder to tell till you focus on it. JR

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

oldtoys1961 wrote:
I think for re-chroming cost these days I could replace them in the spring. Probably find a good one during the winter months on ebay alot cheaper.
That is true ...

The advantage to having your set chromed is that you can specify a better quality job to be performed than you normally receive when you purchase after-market equipment.

We did ours the winter of '80-'81 .... still look pretty good. But then, we did plan on keeping these two for a while...

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
imported post

How about powder coat. Cheaper and "custom" just make sure they don't coat the mating edge.

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
imported post

I had mine done in powder coat. It was supposed to be "Chrome" . They put on a Silver and then a clear . It was nice about 6 months . Since then its full of blisters . The belt covers were done at the same time and dont look much better :( They were all bead blasted for the powdercoat application . Maybe I was took . Anyhow I just wanted to pass that along . Next time my aluminum parts will be buffed to a luster.

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Those valve cover gaskets are a rubber ring type and because of that, alot of riders will re use them because they come off in one piece. New ones should not leak if everything is clean & not over torqued. In a pinch, you could clean your surfaces and the rubber gasket, use a thin bead of rtv silicone on the gasket surface and re assemble. You must be carefull to not over do the silicone or it gets inside your motor!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If you're not using the bike it's better not to run it up periodically. Better to let it sit without running. Keep the battery on a tender and leave it be. Running up an engine that's not going to be used for a while really isn't a good idea since it's rare that one gets run up enough to get all the internals up to normal operating temperature to evaporate any condensation the heat will produce.

You could put a very thin wipe of Permatex #2 on the mating surface of the rocker seals but most likely if it's starting to seep the only real solution are new seals. I've seen silicon seal used on several rocker seals but all of them were still leaking. In real cold weather they can seep a bit because the cold aluminum shrinks easing the pressure on the seal. Whatever you do don't try to torque the rocker cover bolts. They break very easily, all they need is to be screwed down until you feel the flange bottom out.

·
Premium Member
3,771 Posts
imported post

If you are going to replace the seals with aftermarket seals do some research. I replaced mine with aftermarket from JC Whitney and they leak more than the old ones. Seems the rubber is somewhat harder than original.??? Tom

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
imported post

is it leaking on the right side. my 82 was and thought valve cover was leaking but it turned out to be tac.o ring leaking and running down???

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thats it.Good point krazyAl. Now that you mention it, I did use a syringe and put some oil down the tach cable a month ago when it start making a buzz sound. About the time it started getting cold in the am. I remember snapping a speedo cable on my Shadow last year afte the 1st real cold snap, so I oiled them this year. I'll bet thats where it came from, I'll check it out closer since it is on the right side. Thanks guys. JR

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Oil down the tach cable shouldn't cause a leak unless your tach cable housing is cracked or the gasket between the end of the cable and fuel pump is leaking. It's pretty common to get a leak from the tach cable attachment. The OEM gasket looks like an 0-ring with flattened sides. I've replaced them with o-rings, it may takebit harder push to get the lock bolt back in with an o-ring, but it will work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.