Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all!

I'm new to GoldWings and so far am having a heck of a time being able to enjoy my first one. It's a 1983 that was pretty much a basket case when I got it. I've put it back together in good order, bought lots of new chrome pieces -mirrors, carb trim, engine guards, fairing accents, etc.- and I've had her out on the road already. But the accessory portion of the electrical system is a MESS!

Here's the deal: The stock signal flasher was kaput so I replaced it with a 3-pin GM automotive flasher as recommended by several Wing riders (EP28, I believe was the part number). Now the left turn signals front and rear work perfectly and both front marker lights work correctly. However, the right front signal does NOT work. I'm good with wiring and have tried every cross-wiring trick I can think of short of actually tearing into the harness but cannot find the problem. Bulbs and fuses are good and I've cleaned all the pins and connectors that I can see.

Also, the horns do not work. And I mean the two beautiful, brand new horns that I purchased yesterday for the bike. They're correct for the bike and I tested them on the bike's battery before installing them. But no-go when hooked up.

Last question: I do not know where the brake-light switch is for the front brake lever. I rebuilt the caliper the other day and found nothing resembling a switch. I do, however, have two female-tipped wires about four inches in length hanging down from my right-side control. Could these be part of the missing switch?

Finally, how do I know what type of Wing I have? I don't know if it's an Interstate or an Aspencade. I do know that the new seat I purchased purported to be the "bigger, more comfortable seat" for the Aspencade. Is it as simple as that?

Sorry so long but I'd appreciate all the help I can get so I can ride this thing before the short New Hampshire summer comes to an abrupt end. THANKS!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
imported post

Hi,

First, get a hond flasher made for your model. Should be around $6. Next, if you'll look under the front brake lever located on the right handle bar you will see 2 flat spade conection. That will be you light conections.

teacher

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

No dice on the brake switch. Like I said, I think it's physically missing. But now that you've told me what to look for at least I've gone from guessing it's gone to knowing...lol. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
imported post

hi,

It can't be missing! It's all part of the Front Brake Master Cylinder! Unless those two prongs have been broken off. If that is the case, you'll have to buy another front master cylinder. eBay motorcycle parts is a good place to start. A good used one should run you about $30-$40. teacher

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Well, it's too late to go out and check it now, but I know there's definitely no prongs there. Off the top of my head I can't even recall seeing a place where they would have been. Like I said, I rebuilt the master cylinder so I've already had the thing apart and in my hands for a while. There's nothing -and I mean nothing- on it that resembles any sort of a switch or electrical connection.

Maybe I'll just fab a switch onto it. Not trying to be cheap, but it erks me that I just bought and installed the rebuild kit only to find out I have to replace the whole thing. :headbanger:

Thanks for your help, teacher! :D

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
imported post

I have 2 1981 Gl1100's. I just went outside a check the master cylinder and they are there. But my are 1981 not the 83. teacher

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
imported post

:baffled: Teacher, I have an "83 Aspencade and I just went to the garage to check it. The switch is right under the front brake lever. There are two small spade connectors that the wires plug onto. By the way, I'm new. First post..... Jim OLD-GOLD

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Hey, all you new members, welcome to the forum!!!

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I am out of town, in some hellhole called Houston, so I don't have access to my schematics.

On the horn, if I recall correctly, the horn lugs should have power on one side, and when you are pressing the button, you are applying a ground to the other lug. Did you do any rewiring of the horn circuit?

If you have a digital dashboard, it's an Aspencade. If it has the dial analog gauges, it's an Interstate. Also, the Aspencade came in colors the Interstate didn't.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hi Garthfan and Old Gold, welcome to the best GoldWing forum on the internet.

The switch on the '82 is held to the bottom of the master cylinder by a single screw. This was a change in '82 and carried forward to the '83. The PO may have removed yours. It is available under $20 form either Power Sports or Service Honda. BTW if you do not have a manual, this would be a necessary investment. I recommend the Honda manual which is available from Helminc.com

http://www.helminc.com/helm/product2.asp?class%5F2=AHC&mk=Honda+Motorcycle&yr=1983&md=On%2DRoad&dt=Shop%2FService+Information&module=&from=result&Style=&Sku=GL1183&itemtype=N&mscsid=EFSNBFC61XDL9MVP8AHF5W1WKWT90SNC

Good luck Garth and keep us informed on your progress.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks for the help thus far, guys.

JackJohn: There is a single small screw in the bottom of the master cylinder that doesn't appear to be doing anything so I'll assume that's to hold the switch in place as you said. I'll order a new one today.

As for the horns: I haven't touched the wiring on them, yet. I'll hit the circuit with the meter today and see what I come up with. Just ran out of time last night.

Guess I've got an Interstate! Thanks for clearing that up. All -and I mean ALL- of the bike's electronics were in the saddlebags when I bought her so this will be a project and a half. Like I said, she's back together physically and mechanically and runs pretty decent (I think the carbs need attending to) but the radio, CB, intercom and all the wires for those things are in a pile of wiring spaghetti on my deck.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Also, does anyone have any more advice on my signal problem other than replacing the new flasher I bought?

I don't mind replacing it if I have to, but many people -both on the GWRRA board and even here- have recommended this very unit for this bike and swear they've had no problems with it.

Thanks!

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey, garthfan0523, :waving:teacher, :waving:and Old Gold, :waving:

Welcome to the greatestGoldwing Forum on the net. :clapper:

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
imported post

hey garthfan,

Does your flasher have 2 or 3 prongs on the end? There are 3 wires on the wiring harness but only 2 will be connected. and If you have a three prong flasher you will use only 2 of the three. I'll have to go look at my DEAD wing to tell for sure. Now I'm talking about flashers and can't even get my wing started! teacher

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
imported post

hi redwing,

you're right there several forums that I have found, but this is the only one that I have gotten a response. And all of the advise has been excellent. Thanks to Vic, twisty and many more. teacher

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

teacher wrote:
hi redwing,

you're right there several forums that I have found,
but this is the only one that I have gotten a response.
And all of the advise has been excellent.
Hey teacher :clapper:This is the Best Forum. :clapper:Thanks for your kind comments.

:leprechaun: :18red: :leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

teacher wrote:
hey garthfan,

Does your flasher have 2 or 3 prongs on the end? There are 3 wires on the wiring harness but only 2 will be connected. and If you have a three prong flasher you will use only 2 of the three. I'll have to go look at my DEAD wing to tell for sure. Now I'm talking about flashers and can't even get my wing started! teacher
It's a 3-pronger. But I tried disconnecting each of the wires in turn and each one killed the flasher as it was disconnected.

Which two do you think I should only be using??? I have a white, a black and a green.

Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
imported post

hi garthfan,

Use only the black and White. I'm not sure where the green goes! teacher

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum garthfan0523! :waving:

I installed the EP28 on my 83 Aspencade a couple of years ago. I copied the info off the GWRRA board when I was searching about how to fix mine. I hadn't found thisforum yet! :clapper:

The correct way to hook up the wires is;

FLASHER TERM L is the load, the grey wire

FLASHER TERM B+is the battery power, the black wire goes to it

FLASHER TERM G is ground, the green wire goes to it

The green wire MUST be hooked up for the flasher to work.

Check the connection under the button on the horns. Could be full of dirt. Try separating the case enough to spray some contact cleaner in and flush it out.

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

Hey all!

Found the horn problem: The contacts inside the switch were so badly corroded that they weren't allowing the circuit to pass. So...problem solved with a little emory cloth.

Still no joy on the signal problem, though. EP28 flasher is wired properly as per everyone's instructions on several message boards. Here's a recap: The left marker light/signal circuit is working 100% proper. The RIGHT marker light works perfectly (even goes out when I hit the signal switch) but the FLASHER circuit only operates the right-rear light -which, of course goes berserk because the circuit's only carrying one bulb.

If I hardwire the right front signal to the right-rear signal (just to see if the flasher circuit works) I get a perfect, normal-speed flasher on both lights (but, of course, the rear light stays on like a marker light because they're connected so I can't go that route).

Can anyone give this some more thought for me, please? Thanks!

Jeremy

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.