Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Looking for help::gunhead:

1983 GL1100 interstate, 15,000 miles, and a great bike till last 2 years. Performance has dropped off despite attempts to improve. Current condition is unrideable! Bike only runs on full choke, will not idle at all. Removed carbs to clean found minimal sediment in bowls. Replaced air cut valves (4) and no change. Fuel pump puts out 2psi and reasonable volume to at least allow bike to idle. Please understand this bike has never been appart since purchase so no mistakes in repairs. Compression is 150 psi each. Suspect major vacuum leak but cannot find any. Put propane into intake and bike trys to normalize. I am missing something really big here and can't see it perhaps someone out there has a suggestion. Frustrated and not riding! any suggestion would be appreciated. Local bike mechanic shook his head and said "old bike could be anything"!!

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Jamber15! :waving:

With only 15,000 miles on the bike I would say it has probably sat for long spells without being ridden. I suspect the carb circuits and jets are full of varnish and deposits from old gas. You probably need to pull them and do a complete tear down and cleaning on them.

I don't have much carb experience but I'm sure someone who does will come along with some better or more detailed suggestions.

You should have thousands of more miles left in that 83! I turned 99k on mine last week.

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

AZ Winger:

Thanks for the quick response and welcome. Have had the carbs off and apart twice. Found no varnish build-up just some fine sediment for its age. Bike was used every year and always had fresh gas in it and put away in winter with "stay fresh" in the tank. I'm really stumped on this one. Thanks for your thoughts.

Nick

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
imported post

hey jamber,

I have an 81 wing, but not much experience with it yet! However, I also have a 750 and experienced the same problem. After overhauling the carbs too many times to count, I final talk to a friend of my who said not enough fuel or too much air! I tighten all the manifold clamps and check to see that there was no leaks. It worked!

750 runs with the choke and idles great!

teacher

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Did you check for air leaks at teh manifold joints etc? Spray some WD40 around the area and if the engine note changes you might be able to find the leak that way.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Jamber15 wrote:

1983 GL1100 interstate, 15,000 miles, and a great bike till last 2 years. Performance has dropped off despite attempts to improve. Current condition is unrideable! Bike only runs on full choke, will not idle at all. Removed carbs to clean found minimal sediment in bowls. Replaced air cut valves (4) and no change. Fuel pump puts out 2psi and reasonable volume to at least allow bike to idle. Please understand this bike has never been appart since purchase so no mistakes in repairs. Compression is 150 psi each. Suspect major vacuum leak but cannot find any. Put propane into intake and bike trys to normalize. I am missing something really big here and can't see it perhaps someone out there has a suggestion. Frustrated and not riding! any suggestion would be appreciated. Local bike mechanic shook his head and said "old bike could be anything"!!
Jamber15, I have to agree with the above posts in that it sure points to something missed in the carbs.. You might try opening the pilot jet needles another 2 turns each & if it improves the idle you probably have carb problems yet. If old fuel residue & varnish gets up in those carb passages it is very hard to dislodge with a just a little carb cleaner & compressed air.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
imported post

Hey, Y'all, iknow this is a late response, but just thought i'd give my 2 cents... My "82 had the manifold dress crome, which is bolted onto each manifold where one attaches the hoses to sync the carbs... anyway, both front holes had been mis-threaded, causing a pesky vaccuum leak that took me a while to find. Just a thought!:jumper:

Todd

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks Twisty:

Guess I'll have toget the carbs off one time. Tried opening idle screws but no help. I wish I could get it to at least a rough idle. Have to pull full choke and modulate the throttle to keep it running. If I could get at least a steady idle I could perhaps chase down an air leak which I really suspect. I did notice a lot of carbon built up behind intake valves which I was able to knock down with some cleaner. Don't if carbon deposits could really affect performance that much.

Thanks

Nick

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Hey Jamber15 :waving:Welcome to the best Goldwing Forum onthe net. :clapper:

:leprechaun::18red::leprechaun:

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

Hi. I am very new to Goldwings in fact I don't get mine until the weekend.

I have picked up a very nice Gl 1100 Interstate with 40,000 on the clock.

The Problem you have reminded me of one I had two years ago with a cb750

The problem was the Float Needles not seating allowing excess fuel into the engine

causing the verysame problem you have the carbs would not adjust it was lumpy and would not tick over.

Now I don't know if the goldwing has floats and needle valves but if it has it could be a possibility. also if the floats were punctured same effect.

Hope this helps.

Inteleman

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Hi Inteleman: Thanks for suggestion. This problem is definately a lean mixture situation, as your previous 750 problem would have been an overly rich scenario. I wish that were the case as I would be riding now not scratching my head in the garage!! Anyway thanks for the input and I will just plod along and see what I can do. Hate to go through the carbs again (3rd time) as they are real job to get off and apart but I have had some practice. Hope your wing does not need any carb work. Thanks and my best,

Nick in CT,

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Teacher,

Thanks for your input. Have checked those out and installed new clamps anyway. Leak check with propane and no change in condition.

Nick

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Martin,

Thanks for the thoughts on air leaks. Have leak checked like crazy with propane around all possible leakage points. Shoot some propane into the air intake and the bike picks up and tries to run so I think I am still looking at something the fuel delivery side.

Nick

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Hey Bob,

Forgot to tell you my bro in law in Southern Cal put 275K on his 82 Interstate before trading up to a Valkerie. Never had it apart just brakes and tires every 15K.

Nick in CT

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
imported post

Jamber15 wrote:

Thanks,

Off the top of my head, (I don't have a shop manual handy) I believe that your fuel pressure should be 4-5 psi.......... If you have to have the choke out to run, she's starving.... Have you checked/changed the fuel filter?

Just a thought or two......:baffled:

·
Premium Member
45 Posts
imported post

I had the same issue - here is my take on it.....

Pilot circuit is clogged causing lean condition. Get the carbs off and blow 120 PSI thru the pilot circuits. Then make certain that the fuel mixture screws are set correctly. Make certain to put correct sliders in correct carbs.

The fuel bowls can look relatively clean and you can still have major cloggage in the circiuts.

JM Wolfe

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

JM Wolfe,

Thanks for your input. Think I have to get back into the carbs for a redo and let them soak awhile longer. As clean as they appeared I can't believe there is anything in there to restrict the fuel. I believe I kept the slides in order, but that would not affect idle would it.

Nick

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Frenchy:

Thanks for your thoughts on this perplexing problem. Manual I have says 2 psi @3000 rpm which dials in on my bike and the pump volume appears OK too. Fuel filter was changed on my first pass on this problem. Even if pump was bad I believe with a full tank you could pretty much gravity feed the carbs and at least get it to idle, perhaps not much at higher speeds.

Thanks again,

Nick in CT

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

A lot of problems can work out to be the toughest but the simplest to fix.pull off your old fuel line. If brittle with age change it. If not run a stick in it to see if inner lining has broken lose.Keep it vertical.Fred

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.