Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just got one of the shocks taken apart. The end opposite of the seal popped out exposing the 2 "0" rings on the top piece and allowing me to view into the top part of the shock. An oily, dissolving mess that once was some kind of rubber buffer between the damper case guide(?) and the top of the cylinder was in that space. The "O" rings, buffer, and top piece are not parts depicted in the diagrams of the shock. Anyone have info on where to get a replacement buffer piece or what to use as a replacement? After seeing this, I wonder how many others have not disassembled their shocks to this extreme when changing the seals and overlooked this problem.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

some people have changed springs to progressive on the rear, requiring the dis-assembly of the top portion. It sounds to me like part of the top half came apart? I have rebuilt mine, (a couple years ago), and just put it back together without that bumper, I think. There are some pictorial writeups if you do a search.

Welcome to this forum, it's a lot of fun!

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

What concerns me is I am a big guy and momma ain't so little herself. Metal banging against metal would not be a good thing.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

if you just wanted to change theoil seal you went overboard. The seal on the bottom is usually what leaks .The top 2 o rings on the shock mount you might just have to measure them as ive never seem them listed sepately. jb

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.