Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the items on my bucket list this winter is to replace the valve covers. I have a beautiful pair of polished covers to replace my old, corroded covers.

Question 1:
Can anyone offer a recommendation where to get good gaskets?

Question 2:
While the covers are off, is ther anything I will have access to that I should check? If so, should I pre-order anything other than the gaskets?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
I know many of the riders will say mother Honda. But honestly I would check flea bay. I have purchased a few OEM Honda parts from World of power sports . com They are fairly reasonable on OEM and fast shipping. I like the fact that they seem to have parts for wings nobody else has.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
One of the items on my bucket list this winter is to replace the valve covers. I have a beautiful pair of polished covers to replace my old, corroded covers.

Question 2:
While the covers are off, is ther anything I will have access to that I should check? If so, should I pre-order anything other than the gaskets?

Thanks
Get the gaskets that go under the mounting bolts but you probably thought of that:) and check the valve/rocker lash while you're in there.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Get the gaskets that go under the mounting bolts but you probably thought of that:) and check the valve/rocker lash while you're in there.
Gaskets under the mounting bolts? Negative. I did not know there were any gaskets under the mouting bolts.

PLEASE DON'T ASSUME THAT I KNOW ANYTHING.... and then we will be on the same page:cheesygrin:

Just looked at the manual... Do I need to remove the timing belt covers to remove the valve covers?

Valve lash? I have googled it (since it is not in the service manual that I can find). Any suggestions on what the gap should be? Is there a handy-dandy tutorial that shows the proper procedure for checking the lash?

Thanks

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Valve lash/clearance and how to is in your manual unless you only have an owners manual.

The mounting bolt gaskets are those metal and rubber washers under the bolt heads.

The rocker covers can be taken off without removing anything with the possible exception of the crash guards.

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
Gaskets under the mounting bolts? Negative. I did not know there were any gaskets under the mouting bolts.

PLEASE DON'T ASSUME THAT I KNOW ANYTHING.... and then we will be on the same page:cheesygrin:

Just looked at the manual... Do I need to remove the timing belt covers to remove the valve covers?

Valve lash? I have googled it (since it is not in the service manual that I can find). Any suggestions on what the gap should be? Is there a handy-dandy tutorial that shows the proper procedure for checking the lash?

Thanks
The valve clearance is .004 in. intake, .005 in. exhaust
This is measured with engine cold.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
eBay the guy in FL..Georgefixit has good stuff and he's honest, be careful setting the valves is easy but you must be spot on or you could bend a valve or make the compression worse, no the timing covers don't have to come off..but if you haven't changed your timing belts or know they are new you should.

The rubber "washers on the bolts you remove are what he is talking about, be careful when you reinstall those bolts it is easy to break them off..don't over tighten.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Valve lash/clearance and how to is in your manual unless you only have an owners manual.

The mounting bolt gaskets are those metal and rubber washers under the bolt heads.

The rocker covers can be taken off without removing anything with the possible exception of the crash guards.

Thanks Ken. I have an OEM Honda Service manual for GL1100 80-83. I looked last night, but will check again. The service manual has no index, so I looked in what I thought was the appropriate sections.... guess I didn't find the right place.

Thanks for the confirmation on the timing covers and crash guards.

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The valve clearance is .004 in. intake, .005 in. exhaust
This is measured with engine cold.
Thanks for the spec's. I seem to have missed the procedure to do this in the service manual, so I'll have to take another look this evening. If it is possible, without writing a novel, to describe how to determine intake vs exhaust positions, I would appreciate it. If not, hopefully it is discussed in the manual.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
turn fly wheel to t1 set valves that are loose, turn 360 to t1 again set the other four that are loose. To see the T1 mark take the little cover off the top center rear of the engine just under the fuel filter, use stator bolt to turn the FW only counterclockwise.

How to's with pics on several sights look here for one

http://www.ngwclub.com/shoptalk/

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
eBay the guy in FL..Georgefixit has good stuff and he's honest, be careful setting the valves is easy but you must be spot on or you could bend a valve or make the compression worse, no the timing covers don't have to come off..but if you haven't changed your timing belts or know they are new you should.

The rubber "washers on the bolts you remove are what he is talking about, be careful when you reinstall those bolts it is easy to break them off..don't over tighten.

RB,

Just found him. He monicer is GeorgeFix. He has the gaskets, and bolt gaskets. Thanks. I did not see him have a timing belt listed. Do you know a source for the belt?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
turn fly wheel to t1 set valves that are loose, turn 360 to t1 again set the other four that are loose. To see the T1 mark take the little cover off the top center rear of the engine just under the fuel filter, use stator bolt to turn the FW only counterclockwise.

How to's with pics on several sights look here for one

http://www.ngwclub.com/shoptalk/

Awesome link RB. That is just what I needed. I do so much better with pictures....:)

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
#2 valve cover gaskets 2- GASKET, HEAD COVER 12328-371-000 $14.00 ea
#4 bolt sealing washers 8- RUBBER, MOUNTING 90541-371-000 $3.17 ea
http://www.westernhonda.com/fiche_s...=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1983&fveh=132142
Always check western hondas price before buying from fleebay

Georgesfix on ebay is a great guy and usually has good prices. I have bought a lot from him.

Stay away from Sabre Cycle!!!!!! DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THEM!!!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.