Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I have this figure out, but would like better opinions than mine.

I have notice that when I first start riding for the day, everything shifts fine. After about 20-30 minutes, I have the devil of a time down-shifting past 3rd (ie. can't get it into 2nd).

Things you should know:
1. Rode the bike in several Christmas parades, on the clutch for most of the parades, start and stop.
2. Replaced after-marked running boards that had a heel-toe shifter connected to the OEM shifter. Replaced with Markham boards that have an integral shifter, all the way to the spline connection.

Original thoughts:
1. Transmission is messed up.
2. The replacement shifter is hanging on something, or is not turning the spline connection properly.

I think I have ruled both those out. Right before I finished my ride today, It dawned on me that maybe I am not giving it enough clutch. So every down-shift after that, I made a concerted effort to bring the clutch lever all the way to the hand grip. No problems downshifting.

Does this make sense? If so, is this a "simple" clutch cable adjustment? I would think that the clutch should be fully disengaged with half the travel of the lever. Is that about right?

Thanks

(BTW - I think the reason this does not show up as a problem at the beginning of a ride may be that I am fully pulling the clutch lever at first... but after enough pulls of the lever, I start pulling a little less.... )

·
Happy Goldwinger
778 Posts
There is a method of adjusting the clutch at the engine end and then at the lever, it's been posted before. You probably should check your cable in case it is fraying and breaking up.

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
Could be you warped a clutch plate a little parading it and the symptom shows up when it's hot. Just do as Earl says and ride it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.