Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Howdy all,

I have a very nice '83 1100i with 56k miles. After having some "dragging" issues on the rear caliper, and front right (linked system), I decided to put caliper seal kits in them (K&L kits rear and front rt). I also put new EBC pads all around (fa69/2 frt and fa69hh rear). Additionally, I put a K&L seal kit in the rear master. I have bled these brakes before, and have a lot of experience with bleeding clutches and other troublesome small-borehydraulic systems....As you may suspect, after many tries, I have NO pedal and NO fluid coming from the bleeders. Here's what I've tried over the past 2 days:

1) Standard bleeding beginning with front rt.... Fluid only raises and lowers in reservoir... None moved out bleeders, no bubbles could be made to come through my hose on the nipple...

2) Mityvac method... I've moved two Mityvac canisters through the front bleeder nipple and one thru the rear(teflon tape on bleeder screw threads)... Still, can't get pedal afterward.... In fact, conventional bleeding actually sucks fluid from the clean fluid that I use to watch for bubbles/fluid movement BACK up my hose and see the reservoir level increase. Bleeder closed, pump pedal SLOWLY 1-2-3-4-5 and hold gently down; crack bleeder, and nuthin!

3) Heavy veternary syringe full of dot3, connected to bleeder screw and sent 4 large syringes into the bike's reservoir (backwards). I had to empty the bike's reservoir 4X because of the sheer amount offluid I sent backwards. STILL NO PEDAL OR FLUID MOVEMENT.

* Note I did steps 3 and 4 on the rear caliper as well.

4) I opened both bleeders and directed a hose into some fluid to prevent ingestion of air,then weighted the pedal down for 30 hrs.... Still no fluid out the bleeder after GENTLE pumping.

5)I made an adapter to FORCE fluid from the bike's reservoir into the rear master with said syringe; no fluid would go! I tried pumping the pedal with pressure into the reservoir hose, and it just sent pressure BACK into the syringe.

Thus far after trying all this, I have taken the master BACK apart, in the off chance I flipped the piston seal backwards.... It was not reversed; however, I DID notice that the check valve seal (little rubber hat that goes in first with the narrow end of the spring behind it) was stuck in the bore of the master. I fear that this is going on now, and explains why the pedal is just raising the reservoir level when pressed, and the fluid level drops when the pedal is released. I THINK the check valve is the problem, but WTH can I do??? PLEASE help, as I am SUPPOSED to leave for Barber "Vintage days" in Alabama day after tomorrow.... At this rate I'll leave the GL garaged and ride the '74 CB750!

Frustrated Fabricator

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

You have done all the right things so far, and left nothing out. I think the check valve seal is the main problem, not being a Honda seal kit there could be a size difference. You may have to slightly polish the MC bore so the seal doesn't stick.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

I have another master, and another kit, I will take them both apart, and take them to work (I run a welding and machine shop) for inspection. Thanks so much for the tip.

Fabricator

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.