Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Bought an 83 Interstate last year and have really enjoyed it but lately i've been having a problem with the radio. When I first got it running again the radio worked fine but now it has a buzz in it that appears to be interferencefrom the electrical system. Last night while trying to troubleshoot I noticed that the noise started when the battery voltage hit 14.5v although it happened once at 13.8v. This leads me to believe that something is going wrong when the regulator shunts the alternator to ground to keep from over charging the battery. Is this a bad sign for my alternator/ regulator or ismy radio amplifier giving up the ghost. Would a noise suppressor for theamp help. I tried a buddies headset while it wasmaking the buzz and the noise was not present in the headset.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
imported post

I had the same problem, until I changed the Stator
connector. I think it may have been causing the interference.
Check it for corosion.....
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
imported post

check your stator plug its behind the same side pannel as your battery,it will be the one with three yellow wires running in and out of it.if the wires or the plug look any thing like they are burnt or dirty ditch the plug and etheir hard wire (sodder them together with heavy srink tubing) or go the wayi did get male/female spade conectors and just replace the pulg with them as added protection i put shrink tubing over the plastic on the conectors and then a smaller size on the wires to make sure that they stayed tight and water tight as much as possible. next make sure your battery contacts are clean the water and chargeis up. if your battery dose not go below 12.5 at an idel or over 15.00 volts at 3000 rpm yor reg should be good. i just went through this with my bike and caught my sator plug just before it went south on me my bike charges better anr my humm went a way good luck:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

Quite often the pins in the stator plug are corroded and a good clean can get rid of the noise. Soldering the wires and dumping the plug is probably better though.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I put spade connectors on the three yellow wires before I even started riding the bike based on what I read on this forum. However, last night while I was tinkering it started buzzing and the bike wasn't even running. is there any way to put an aftermarket amp on the bike?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.