Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can any one tell me what might be the problem with one cylinder not firing? one cylinder doesn't seem to be firing, it smokes as well. will not plane out when riding and only gets about 20 mpg. the carbs have been completely gone through and resynced.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
Carbs went through by whom? Is it possible the cylinder is firing, but not getting any fuel?

Some smoking is normal. Goldwings would rather smoke than drip oil...

·
Administrator
27,952 Posts
Several things could be the problem but most likely is either the carbs or ignition.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had started the process of syncing the carbs and #3 cylinder was erratic. So I took it a reputable motorcycle shop. It's owned by an individual which is a 30 year automotive engineer whom has always worked on or repaired motorcycles. He seems to think it's the cylinder #3 valves sticking. We weren't able to locate newones. Do you have any suggestions. I have located some heads at a mechanic shop which are complete.

·
Administrator
27,952 Posts
DAVE0430, you're saying ignition, can you expand that response please
It can have a cracked coil (common) or a bad plug wire or cap or the spark plug itself, any of these can cause loss of ignition on 1 cylinder.
I am way more suspicious of the carb "rebuild" though.

I had started the process of syncing the carbs and #3 cylinder was erratic. So I took it a reputable motorcycle shop. It's owned by an individual which is a 30 year automotive engineer whom has always worked on or repaired motorcycles. He seems to think it's the cylinder #3 valves sticking. We weren't able to locate newones. Do you have any suggestions. I have located some heads at a mechanic shop which are complete.
Sticking valves very unlikely. I have heard of a broken valve spring though.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Ignition is the easy part to check. Take a spare spark plug, remove the wire from the plug in the engine, and connect it to the spare plug. ground the plug. Now start the engine, preferably in the shade. If you get a good spark, the ignition is working, and you can look elsewhere. I would go to the carb next, before even considering valves, unless you have done a compression test on all four cylinders, and that one is low. Carbs are simple enough, but I have seen an absolutely ridiculous number of them mucked up by someone who didn't know what they were doing. The do require a somewhat delicate touch.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Also, pull the plugs and make sure you don't have a wet plug from a leaking head gasket. That will foul a plug and smoke as well as turn over hard as it will be hydroloc condition.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.