Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hey I'm new here and I have finally gotten to the point of frustration with my wing..I have tried to have a friend fix my wing and it still refuses to idle properly..I am mechanically inclined, however me and carbs dont always see eye to eye(leftover parts). I can get the bike to run and at high speeds its ok, but while stopped, I have to keep throttling to keep it from stalling. It usually fires right up in the morning, however on occasion the can of starting fluid is used.

Thoughts?

and many thanks for being the best website on the inter-tubes :)

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,204 Posts
imported post

You got a big ol' Texas welcome here dude!!

You might just try to twiddle with the screw that adjusts them all at once, what kind of idling speed are you expecting? they don't usually do to good under 1,000 RPM depending on engine temperature, and again welcome to the one and only Goldwing forum on the net!!:waving:

PS. Your name suggests that you may actually be my ex-wife, l)@mn well hope not!:laughing:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

You need to sync your carbs!

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum from MASS If that dosent work, Check for vacuum leaks.Easy to check , get some carb cleaner in a spray can. Spray around carb area if idle raises chances are there is a vacuum leak look for disconnected or bad vacuum lines. Also you can check by spraying down throttle of air box under seat,if idle goes up (vacuum leak) . Hope this helps once again Welcome:waving:

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

Dusty cant sleep? Me too, bike repairs on mind. but Ill GET ER DONE ha ha..:waving:

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
imported post

Welcome DC, U have found the right place for assistance. I am curious if you have tried any SeaFoam yet? Sounds like carbs may need cleaning, but this may help a little until then. Typically when tuned right, these things start in a second or two, you won't believe how great they can run.
Enjoy the Ride!

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I haven't tried seafoam yet..although I hear that a lot. I will go get a bottle of it and see what happens. Will one bottle work or should I buy a couple of them? I will also get some carb cleaner and check for vacuum leaks as well

thanks

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Most likely your idle jets are clogged..sea foam might clean them out but the only real way is to pull the carbs pull the jets and clean them..be careful with other carb cleaners most will ruin the rubber parts in te your carbs..if left in there for any length of time..

Are all cylinders firing?? spray water on headers..shoudl steam right off if not..cylinder isn't firing well.

Synching could help too..but should run at idle if not synched just not well and with lots of knocking.

If your are real lucky it could be the idle screw is all the way out adjust it in and it steps up the idle.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
imported post

I suggest 1/2 can per tank, first two tanks. This will act as carb cleaner, but not harmful to internal parts. U only need regular carb cleaner if u take them apart to clean.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Could also be your idle jets plugged/dirty.

When you get the Seafoam, add 1/2 can to a half tank of fuel. Start the bike and let it idle, or give it just enough throttle to keep it from stalling, but keep the revs under 1050 RPM if possible. Run it like that for a good 10 minutes and let it cool down. Repeating this several times may be needed. If that doesn't work, then I suspect you'll need to remove carbs and have them cleaned.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the idle jets to me also. they are much smaller and are more easily clogged. Something else to check is the screws on the carbs where you plug in the sync kit. somehow, one of mine backed out without me knowing and caused a vacume that made the idle really bad. Dad always said "start at the beginning and check the obvious first then work your way from there."

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
imported post

i agree with dirty jets, or sticking slide, open em up keep parts for each carb in a solo cup, and clean clean clean then do the sea foam

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Ok so I went out and got a can of seafoam...the bike now idles at approx 1500 rpm which i think is wrong ;)...however i will be re-adjusting the idle screw to see if that corrects the idle issue. one more thing cropped up once i started the bike with the seafoam in it. it would appear that i have managed to acquire about a half an inch in my throttle. i was sitting at a light when the bike started to idle high, i thought it was the throttle sticking and when i tried to turn the throttle grip back, it seemed to click and i gained that half an inch...please tell me i didnt screw up my throttle assembly.

again thanks for the great(really awesome) advice.

·
Administrator
26,143 Posts
imported post

You may have broken the return cable. Sounds like the seafoam is working and the idle speed is getting higher, you need to turn the main idle screw out to lower it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.