Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a GL1100 that has a stuck clutch. I have been out of town and haven't had it out since Aug 07. I can start it in nuetral and pull in the clutch and shift to 1st and it stalls because the clutch isn't engaging. My manual show how to get into the clutch and adjust it but it isn't the same as what I got. Were there 2 different clutches for this bike? I has a rod with a spring on the end and 2/3 of the way up it had a "plunger that rises up as I move the lever. Can anyone give me some guidance?

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

80 though 83 all have the same clutch linkage. from your post i cant tell what you have there.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

There are 2 different types of rear cover on the 1100.

One cover (the '80 and '81 I believe) has an adjustment in the center of it, the '82 and '83 cover does not.
The actuator rod on the earlier version sits inside the clutch throwout bearing, the '83 actuator has a flat disk which pushes against the throwout bearing.

Both clutch packs are exactly the same.

I dont think the spring on the rod you mention should be there, at least I've never seen a spring there.

I have both in the shop and try to get a pic of them.

If your actuator is installed properly, It sounds like the clutch plates are stuck together.
Have you tried riding it to get some oil flowing back there and exercise it a bit?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Mine has the actuator rod. The spring I was refering to is at the end of the linkage shaft that pushes the actuator rod against the throughout bearing. I did put it up on the center stand andlet it run for about 10 minutes but it didn't help. Do I need to take it on the road to get the oil circulating better? I didn't have a lot of oil in the casing when I removed it.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
imported post

Sounds like he is talking about the return spring on the lower end of the cable.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
imported post

Try putting it on it's center stand and starting it. if you can get it in gear let it warm up the trans. this might free up the stuck discs. Just my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

I watched a friend of mine who was a mechanic at the local Honda shopfree up several stuck clutch packs some years ago. He would have the engine running. Roll the bike fast enough to get it in first. Then ride around in first with the clutch pulled in. Accelerating rapidly would break the clutch loose every time.

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
imported post

That's what I was thinking, if it's the stuck clutch causing the problem that should free it up. Just becareful not to damage the forks and etc.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll try it and let you know

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.