Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

HI All:

I have an 83 Gl 1100 Interstate. It was running good untill I let it sit up about a year without starting it.

I usually keep seafoam or stabill in the tank but may have not had any in it at the time.

About 6 months ago I started it and it did not runvery well . the fuel smelled bad, and it smoked and did not want to idle.

At that time I drained the fuel tank, and a couple of the carbs, added new fuel and fuel additives or cleaners.

A few days after that it looked like oil had dripped from three of the carbs as there was little pools of oil on top of the motor directly under the carbs.

Fast forward to today, I had to buy a new battery for it. I added a little more fresh fuel and it was not long before it started.

It did not start smoking untill maybe a minute after running. I notice the pavement under the left exhaust pipe becomes wet so something is not right although it smokes on both sides.

The motor actually does not sound bad and seems to run pretty well but does die at idle.The exhaust does smell, but it could just be the oil burning.

I am wondering if a bad fuel pump could be sucking oil into the carbs?

Since the throttle response seems good, I do not think the carbs are all gummed up.

I could run it a long time and see if the coolant level drops, that would tell me if the wet pavement is coolant or just unburned fuel.

Iknow burning oil means oil is in the combustion chambers, but seeing how it is dripping onto the top of motor when sitting it leads me to belive the oil intake is through the carbs.

Fuel pump?, PVC valve ?

Thanks

Alan, in Houston

Thanks

·
Premium Member
868 Posts
imported post

Maybe just oil in the cylinders from laying up, and it needs to be driven to burn off properly.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

I was getting oil in the airbox and carbs when I was overfilling with oil, till I got a dipstick

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Sounds like you have done all required , a wet spot on pavement is probably just condensate dripping from cold start. I would just run it normaly and keep an eye on it for a while . Dont think there are any issues , yet.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
imported post

if you have left it on the sidestand that would tell me there is a good chance that oil pooled in the left side which is normal I would run it like the others said and see what happens

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts
imported post

what is the "moisture" on the driveway? is it gas, oil or water? if its gas pull the carbs (did it evaporate quickly?) if its water keep an eye on the coolant for a couple days(did it take longer to evaporate?) if its oil drive it for 100 miles and see if it happens again (is it still there?)

·
Premium Member
2,076 Posts
imported post

Are you sure the so called oil in the carbs just wasn't nasty old dirty gas from the bike sitting as this old gas looks like oil but is not . Because if your getting oil into your carbs that's a big problem

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
imported post

If your getting oil in the carbs then it can only come from the engine case via the rubber tube to the air box. That would make your air filter look like a roast turkey.

Take the air filter off, look in the plenum. If it's oily then that's a problem that needs to be addressed.

If not then take her out for a hundred-mile-run to burn any latent oil out of the cylinders, exhaust (stay reasonably close to home, you never know !!!) and take it from there.

Dave.

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks for all the replies.

The bike has been on the center stand for the last 2 years.

At first and perhaps it was just some gummy fuel on top of the motor, dripped from carb.

I AM having oil drip from the left side exhaust. I get a fine wet area on the pavement and actual oil drip from a small hole in the muffler.

Now before the bike sat, I did install one of those JC Whitney dip stick kits on the motor.

So this oil drip is after that was installed.

'

The fitting on that dip stick is leaking where it bolts onto the motor.

I cannot find the original drain plug but am going to remove the dip stick and install a drain plug.

I wonder if it is possible that the leakage at the drain fitting is allowing air to be drawn into the lower crankcase and pressure build up is cauising the issue.

Another thing, I may have overfilled the crankcase with oil, but would not think by much.

Seems to run reasonably well even if one of the cyclinders is not firing and just pushing oil.

I think the rear brake may not be working so may not drive it much.

I want to sell the bike asap , that is why I am messing with it now.

I just hope I can price it high enough that it does not get parted out.

The original paint still shines well.

I will let everyone know if installing a drain plug, oil level adjustment will help.

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

alanzdot wrote:
Another thing, I may have overfilled the crankcase with oil, but would not think by much.

Seems to run reasonably well even  if one of the cyclinders is not firing and just pushing oil.  
Mine ran fine with the overfill apart from hit about 3500 revs and it would start to push oil out of the crank case breather pipe

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Drained the oil today because it smelled of gasoline, some of the older gas that was in it and some of the fresh gas.

I did not remove the oil filter but I did drain about 3 1/2 quarts out , I think that is normal unless there was a lot left in the filter.

I still intend to sell it when I finish cleaning it up. I just do not have time to mess with the bike, I have several old cars draining my time and money right now.

I may post it here when I get some pictures. Should be an easy fix up for someone that knows bikes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.