Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Is there a good fix that has worked? I saw some people cleaned then and cleaned the contacts and then put it together tighter. Can someone advise me?

Thanks You all. And thanks for this site. This my first post.

May the Lord Jesus look out for us on our rides and everywhere else.

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum Rabsorutly! :waving:

I am going to move this to the Technical Forum to get you to the Guru's! ;)

·
Premium Member
68,164 Posts
imported post

WELCOME:waving::waving::waving:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

[align=center]

[/align]
[align=center]Welcome Rabsorutly[/align]

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum. The 83 Aspencade ignition switch was discontinued years ago by Honda and they are probably impossible to find used. On that alone I would suggest leaving the switch into a locksmith so they can fix it properly.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Welcome Rabsorutly. Zeke is right, the 1983 Aspencade switch is very rare, only made for that year. If you bodge it you might never get a replacement, so the locksmith route is the way to go.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I had two aspencades of 1983. One the PO replaced the switch with a NOS and the other was original non functional properly.

Some say you can clean the contact points. I know the height of other switches don't work as well as connections are different.

The bad switch can make gages and pump intermittant A little tug can make it work or not.

I have a spare 1983 aspencade switch, though I'm not sure about it. Got it off ebay 4 years ago.

I tried to match GL1200 or other 1984 Hondas for a switch.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Yea I heard that the 1200 switch will work, just attach the wires, leaving out the extra one. Mine has some slop in the run position, like you can move it left and it "may" stay on or right and it may also stay on. Go figure they make a jaked-up switch and you can't find one.

Thanks

Brian

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Maybe I should just upgrade and get a newer wing.
Yea I heard that the 1200 switch will work, just attach the wires, leaving out the extra one. Mine has some slop in the run position, like you can move it left and it "may" stay on or right and it may also stay on. Go figure they make a jaked-up switch and you can't find one.

Lock smith has come up from some other riders and so has the fix it urself idea.

Thanks

Brian

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Maybe I should just upgrade and get a newer wing.

Lock smith has come up from some other riders and so has the fix it urself idea.

Thanks

Brian

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
imported post

I have a new one I will sell you sent pm

·
Premium Member
910 Posts
imported post

corection mine is an Interstate sorry...

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

The 1200 switch will work with the 1 wire left off mod, but the switch neck is 1" taller, so it looks funny. You can mount it lower to compensate, but then you lose the steering lock function. Which I don't use anyway.

'83 Aspencade on left, GL1200 on right (from an '85 LTD)

'83 black plug on the '87 switch.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.