Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everyone!.. I am learning how difficult it is to locate a replacement exhaust for my '83 interstate. i am "exhausted" from searching!... The original exhaust was in pretty bad shape when i bought the bike. (chrome pitted, rust forming etc.) had to remove it. but kept all the parts. After not being able to locate a suitible replacement. I got to work on a "homemade" exhaust. Using the existingexhaust headers. At the auto parts store i bought two lenghths of 2.4 in. dia. heavy walled exhaust pipe. With this i also bought two 3in. dia. chrome extentions. did some measuring, bending and cutting. fabricated a hanger for each side and tack welded those to each pipe at the point where the original exhaust hanger brackets go (kept the stock hanger hardware).. Painted the pipes with a lot of coats of flat black "VHT" paint from Autozone. ($8.00 per can~ouch!)..... The chrome extentions were slash cut. the top tips protrude just past the rear bumper by 2in. either side, and up tight against the underside. Glad you all were elsewhere when i first started the bike! Unless your into getting your inner ear vibrated... lol But, i orderd slide in baffles from Dennis Kirk. a lot of the decibles dropped after putting in the baffles. but the lady of the house say's it's still to loud to "her" liking... I suggested ear plugs... Well, you all know how well those kind of suggestions are taken! I then took the bike to a local shop and had the carbs calibrated, cutoff valves,and new fork seals.As well as Progressive fork springs. the rear already has progressive air shocks. (lucky for me) I have gone as far as my budget will allow for right now..($10056.00 dollars)Is there any way i can lower the exhaust decibels a little more.??... I live near the state of New York And have family there. As of July 1st, New York will allow only helmets that are DOT Certified... And, They have implemented a new "exhaust noise law".. If your exhaust can be heard within "200 feet" You can be ticketed. Just so anyone traveling through that state is aware of these new laws... This is why i need to drop the exhaust decibels on my interstate i would replace my homemade exhaust if i could locate one that fit's an '83 1100 interstate. "used in good condition". Can anyone help with this?Anyone know where '83 exhaust can be found?.. And will my homemade exhaust be alright, without harming the engine?............... "i dont care what mama dont like,... i'm gonna' jump on,... and ride my bike! ":waving:

·
Administrator
26,988 Posts
imported post

Maybe you could double the baffles if there's room in the pipe. What can't you hear within 200 ft.? A mouse fart makes that much noise if it's quiet in the background.
For $10056 you should have bought an 1800.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

The Harley sportster mufflers are supposed to work on the '83 wing and they should be quiet enough for mama and the police. Just a thought.

Bernie

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

I've read in a few places that maybe the GL1200 fits the '83 with little or no problems.

Guess I need a GL1200 parts bike just to try and see what fits and what don't.

·
Village Whack Job...
7,908 Posts
imported post

I don't think the 1200 exhaust would fit an 1100. the 1200 motor is substantially wider than the 1100.

Also ANY 1100 exhaust will fit any other 1100. Just this past Friday I put the exhaust off an 80 onto an 83 with no problems.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

Broke Winger wrote:
I don't think the 1200 exhaust would fit an 1100. the 1200 motor is substantially wider than the 1100.
Has anyone tried this? I have a friend who would let me have his 1200 exhaust - needs a little welding. I tried the whole Sportster thing and hate it. I threw away my original pipes like an idiot.

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

Thanks, I did a search but I just couldn't find anything conclusive.

·
Premium Member
713 Posts
imported post

I think he ment to say $1056.00 Right??

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

For $500 to $700 there are 3 options for new exhaust for the 1100.

Since I have an 1100 and a 1200 sitting in my driveway, when I get home from work tonight I'll go out and crawl around with a few measuring devices and do what I can to answer the question of fitment between the two for sure.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

eBay has them all the time usually go for under a 100 plus shipping of about 45...try local craigslist too!!!

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Thanks RB ! I registerd at E-bay the other day.. just waiting to get my pay-pal number to complete it.. then we'll see.... KNOWBUDDY

·
Premium Member
1,077 Posts
imported post

RB wrote:
eBay has them all the time usually go for under a 100 plus shipping of about 45...try local craigslist too!!!
The whole exhaust? or just Harley take offs or what? I've never been able to find a suitable exhaust on ebay for under a couple hundred bucks?

On a side note, I tried to fit the 1200 exhaust with the chamber in the middle. NO WAY will it fit, it runs right into the rear tire (1980 anyway). I was able to use the header, which has a nice flange on the rear to clamp pipe to.

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

With a cutting torch and welder ANYTHING will fit. :cheeky1:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.