123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

It's got the power but no sound.:?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If you hear static but now modulation when it's tuned to a radio station it could be a disconnected antenna or a broken antenna cable.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thank's , I will get to work on checking it out. The connection at the atenna is good, I don't know about the other end. And if the cable is bad how do you check it?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You should be able to get continuity from the center pin of the antenna cable to the antenna. There should be no continuity from the center pin to ground. That will tell you if the cable is broken or shorted.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
imported post

My 83 "A" had about the same problem. Take out the left turn signal lamp and pull out the 10,000 wires and look for some fuse holders. I had a fuse that was broken(not blown). It looked good sitting in the holder but it was detached internally. That fixed mine.:cooldj:

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I checked the fuses a while back, but I will check again. What I did notice is the tuner is not working. I can't get any stations to come up. It has a switch for the tuner and also for mute. The mute button works the tuner don't. Not sure how to check this.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

frankenpak wrote:
I checked the fuses a while back, but I will check again. What I did notice is the tuner is not working. I can't get any stations to come up. It has a switch for the tuner and also for mute. The mute button works the tuner don't. Not sure how to check this.
Are you saying that you cannot get it to tune from the thumb controller on the handlebar or from the tuner itself? If it is on the thumbswitch, then you can take it apart and see if there is corrosion inside it. Mine was not working but after I cleaned it out, it started to work again. If you do take that apart, be careful because there is a spring and ball bearing in there that would be easy to lose.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

frankenpak wrote:
It's got the power but no sound.:?
Have you tried both AM and FM? Mine works great on AM but not so great on FM. I need to take a look. Does anybody know if the antenna works for FM and AM or is the AM antenna internal like on home systems?

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I went inside the thumb switch, did not see any springs or bearings, just wires that looked fine. Did not find any controler on the radio itself, unless I am missing something, the only way I see to control the stations is by the thumb switch. There is plenty of volumn and static. It's just not changing stations. I had recently replaced the turn signal switch which had a cluster ##*!~of wires. It could be I may of missed or crossed a wire. There was one brown hot wire that I did not know what it was for, since there was nothing left to plug it into.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

frankenpak wrote:
I went inside the thumb switch, did not see any springs or bearings, just wires that looked fine. Did not find any controler on the radio itself, unless I am missing something, the only way I see to control the stations is by the thumb switch. There is plenty of volumn and static. It's just not changing stations. I had recently replaced the turn signal switch which had a cluster ##*!~of wires. It could be I may of missed or crossed a wire. There was one brown hot wire that I did not know what it was for, since there was nothing left to plug it into.
Does your radio unit look like this? If so, the two buttons on the upper right with arrows tune the radio. If it has those but they do not change the channel, then it could be that the buttons are worn out.

As far as the thumb switches, when I took mine apart, I pulled the switch out of the body after I took the cover plate off and there is a connection under there which could be corroded. I know mine were. That is also where the ball bearings and springs were lurking.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks Andy, tomorrow I will pull that switch apart. It does look like the same radio a clairon. That may be it ....I will keep you posted.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Does the cb side of the system work?

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Mine don't have a CB. I took the switch apart....your right about the spring and the BB.What a contraption. Tomorrow my son who is an electrician is going to check it out. Thanks again

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.