Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How common is it for a water pump to go out ? I have a little puddle of antifreeze under my bike on the ground was wondering do they have weep holes like a car .. Usually on a car if it leaks from the weep hole it's getting time to replace it ... Any help would be appreciated ... I'm new to this site so if I'm posting in the wrong place forgive me an point me in the right direction ... Thanks in advance ...

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
If they sit, they tend to leak, yes there is a weep hole you may see looking at under the pump or there may be a casting covering the weep hole. Has it been sitting?
Run it for a while keeping a close eye on the radiator level as well as the overflow level. If rad is low, top it off, burp it before cap goes back on(run until thermostat opens and fans kick on a couple times, then top off rad.

This is the right place to post this as it is a tech question.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh yeah I'm sure it's been sitting for a while I've had to go thru the entire brake system even the pressure control valve due to corrosion .. Carbs I've been thru 4 times an still cant get them right so I built a single carb intake an with success might I add she purrs like a kitten .. No more low end know an smooth as glass on idle ...

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
If you decide to replace the water pump, you may as well do the timing belts. It will give you an opportunity to pull and flush radiator, change thermostat and hoses. I did all this on my 1981 GL 1100 when I first got it. Learned alot ( mostly from this forum) and have peace of mind.

·
Premium Member
12,869 Posts
ITs not uncommon for the water crossover tubes to leak at the O-Rings . More so in cooler weather . Also If you have had the carbs out multiple times , you might have unknowingly disturbed the water pipes .
Anyhow before you jump onto the water pump , just be sure to look at the top of the engine and see if its leaking up there and dripping down .

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
They tend to leak, period. If the bike was sitting for a while there is a good chance that the bearings had coolant sitting in them for a while. Dispite the anti-corrosion properties of the coolant they do rust, and they can self destruct VERY quickly. Keep in mind that the pump is rebuildable if its not totaly spent, and that the OIL PUMP drives the water pump. Guess what would happen if the water pump locks up!

I treat my 4 banger Wing waterpumps like I do the timing belts; ANY doubt it gets done ASAP!

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/10-reference-faq-forum/296824-rebuilding-water-pump.html

Bill

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok thanks guys ... I think I have bigger issues .... Now my temp guage isn't moving at all so I think my temp sensor may be bad ... Am I right ? Fan does not kick on an valve covers very hot to the touch almost burn you hot !!

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
To determine how far gone, remove the cover on the engine side of the lower radiator hose. Stick your finger in and see how much wiggle the end of the impeller has. Should be next to none. If you have a lot of wiggle, you need to look at replacing it. Not an impossible job for amateur wrenches, but fairly involved and time consuming. If you don't get it in time it's possible to begin contaminating oil with antifreeze mix and visa versa.

There a rebuild kits available (ebay) for around $35 and gasket sets for $25 (George Fix et al.) Good time to do a bunch of front end renewal items.

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Analog or digital temp gauge? If analog, does the fuel gauge read correct? If both analog guages (fuel & temp) peg high or peg low, then it's likely your 7v regulator. Search this site or goldwingdocs.com for fix.

If you can get top the fan wiring connector, does your fan spin up of you connect it directly to the battery?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No the fuel guage works fine the temp gauge never moves off of the cold mark an the fan works fine connected direct to the battery ... I need a water pump my impeller is in 3 pieces

·
Registered
130 Posts
Oh yeah I'm sure it's been sitting for a while I've had to go thru the entire brake system even the pressure control valve due to corrosion .. Carbs I've been thru 4 times an still cant get them right so I built a single carb intake an with success might I add she purrs like a kitten .. No more low end know an smooth as glass on idle ...
I'd be interested in hearing more about the intake manifold you built. I have been considering doing it myself....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.