Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening for some and good morning to others! I have a 83 Gl1100 aspy and the ignition switch has finally come completely. I have taken it apart and it was literally in pieces. I need to know if a 84' 1200 ignition switch is the answer. I have read a couple of places that they have been able to get this to work. If it is the answer, can some please please tell me what I have to do to make this happen?

Much appreciated!

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Anything is possible but why..get a new or used 1100 switch..New from $25 (Chinese)at most bike shops..or used OEM I have some..$20 plus shipping.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you have ignition switches for a 1983 GL1100a?? If so, let me know, Ill do what ever I have to do to get my hands on one!!

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
Good evening for some and good morning to others! I have a 83 Gl1100 aspy and the ignition switch has finally come completely. I have taken it apart and it was literally in pieces. I need to know if a 84' 1200 ignition switch is the answer. I have read a couple of places that they have been able to get this to work. If it is the answer, can some please please tell me what I have to do to make this happen?

Much appreciated!
The GL1200 switch has a screwed on back cover for ease of serviceability and strength, the '83 GL1100A has a snapped on back cover which when comes off, never seems to go back on. Also, note the GL1200 switch is 1 inch longer in the neck.

The '83 GL1100A switch has a 6 wire plug, the GL1200 has a 8 wire plug, with 7 wires going to it. The extra brown wire is just another ACC wire, not really needed.

I just removed the pins from the 8 position connector, and inserted them into the 6 position connector of the GL1100A.

As far as the 1" longer neck, you can either live with the key slot being 1 inch higher than before, or you can add spacers at the mounting point, and longer bolts. That will move the switch down the amount of spacer you put in, but at that point you lose the ability to key lock the handlebars in the fully turned position

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.