Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello All. I had a neighbor help me to put a 1980 number1/3 head on my 83 Interstate. Got the belts on, but he crossthreaded the mumber one plug. Can this be repaired? This is the only problem. Thank you. God bless u all! David

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
imported post

Hi Nightrider 1, well certainly here (in NZ) we would rethread or repair the damaged head, an engineering shop here would usually do the job no worries, but it will need the head to come off again of course..! Hopefully in the US, there are light engineering shops who would do this for you..??, I am sure someone in the US will come up with the answer...by the way....your neighbour owes you a beer or two do ya think???... :watching:

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
imported post

Take your plug into local auto parts store and get a plug tap same size run piston all the way up on that cyl and retap vacumme up any bits and should be ready to go. They also make a plug thread repair kit

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Buy a tap the same size as the plug threads..14mm 1.50? pitch maybe 1.25 and retap..it maybe fixable just by doing that. And next time only hand tighten plugs until seated. Won't hurt to try.as the other fixes are still doable it retapping doesn't take.

Use magnet and vacuum to get any metals bits out..or pull head and do it off the bike ..If you haven't run the engine the gasket should still be good to re-use.

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

I have a heli-coil kit along with proper drill to use that I can send you.You will need to pay postage both ways,returning it as soon as possible.
Send me message if you decide to use it.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

litfuse wrote:
I have a heli-coil kit along with proper drill to use that I can send you.You will need to pay postage both ways,returning it as soon as possible.
Send me message if you decide to use it.
Good way to fix this. permanent too.I think they should be made that way from the factory.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

If the plug was only cross threaded a turn or two I'd pull the head and run a 12X1.25mm tap through from the inside.

If the damage is severe then a thread insert such as Helicoil would be needed.
A machine shop can do it or if you wish to do it yourself some shops will rent you the tools.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

maybe you can just chase it out and see what happens..but a no-no on a high compression eng like my hog

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

grambo wrote:
maybe you can just chase it out and see what happens..but a no-no on a high compression eng like my hog
Yep on a HOG you don't repair, you replace.:readit:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.