Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just replaced the front brake pads and tire on my bike was going to replace rear pads but wasnt able to remove one of the bolts, checked the pads and wear wasn't bad was getting ready for a trip so figured would do it later, my problem is when we went for a ride the next day it was cut very short, the back tire was getting a rub on the sidewall, upon putting my bike on the lift and checking the back tire noticed it was too far forward and have no idea what could cause this, worried it is the frame, any ideas what could be the problem??? Thanks for your help...

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

How did you determine it is to far forward
Wilf

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

so far just by eyeballing it haven't had the time to do anything else yet, it looks like it is set too far ahead may be its not, it is rubbing on the driveshaft case on one side and part of the frame i am assuming on the other side, like i said so far all i have had time to do is lift it and eyeball everything

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

is it possible that you mixed up the spacers?

or have the wrong size tire ?

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

Also if the tire is real low it could rub, There is very little clearance for tire.... And I would also go with what wda-83wing if you took the rear wheel of for anything.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

never took rear tire or rear brake off and tire is the correct size and right pounds of air so have no idea why it started to rub, gonna try and get saddle bags off this weekend so i can get a better look at things, was just curious if ne ideas why it would all of a sudden start rubbin on both sides of tire??????

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

a realy bad set of wheel bearins can do this also . letting the wheel wobble . but i am sure you would notice this condition before now.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Tires get fatter and wider as they age just like us!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

lol @ wilf... ty tire is a bit worn, never thought of the bulging ,will start out tryin a new one and c if that eliminates the problem :) will b a while... but will keep checking in here, this is a great forum and have plans to do some other work over the winter :)

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

No, tires do not get wider as they get older. If you never actually loosened the axle, then it was nothing you did. Did you get the brake bolt back in without any problems? One of the neat things I love about shaft drive bikes, despite the ridiculous amount of maintenance some of them require, is that they positively locate the wheel in the swingarm.

Way back when I was 16, and fairly new to street riding, I had some moron make a right turn in front of me from the left lane (I was in the right lane) I almost hit his rear bumper, and made the common beginners mistake of locking up the rear wheel. Luckily I didn't crash, but I did skid quite a ways. I took back off, and quickly realized something was wrong. I checked it out, and locking the rear brake had cocked the wheel in the swingarm, causing it to rub on one side. I had no tools, but back in those days, things were different, and a gas station a couple of blocks away loaned me a couple of Crescent wrenches to fix it with. Everything was tight, and I still don't know how it happened. I have had a problem with chain drive bikes ever since, not because of chain maintenance or chain lube on the bike, but because the wheel can become misaligned in the swingarm. A very weak design.

Anyway, that cannot be your problem. It is either brake related, wheel bearing related, or you have developed a bulge on the tire. If that is the case, it will only hit in that one spot. It is impossible for the wheel to move forward in the swingarm, unless you have one of those (really) rare chain drive Goldwings.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.