Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 83 interstate 1100.I had a guy rebuild the carbs and now when I go to take off in first gear it wont.I have to rev the motor and slip the clutch to get it to take off.And it wont run after takeoff well unless the choke is on.The bike starts and idles great revs up once a load is put on the motor it wont take off.Any ideas thanks

·
Premium Member
6,121 Posts
It sounds like the guy that did the carbs made a mistake. The bike seems to be very lean. The two issues that usually cause this is float level is to low or the low speed circuit is plugged.
Did it run decent before he worked on the bike? Did the bike sit for years?
Ask him how he set the float height. If hr inverted the carbs to set the float height that is not right and will cause the symptoms you describe.:)

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I agree with the previous 2 posts.

Geez, Rat. You've been a member for 11 years and already you have 3 posts!
Really burnin' up the internet, aren't you? :devilish:
I sold alot of my Wings over the years.Imhad 2002 1800 sold last June and Acquired this 83 over the winter.That why sometimes I am not in discussions.
It sounds like the guy that did the carbs made a mistake. The bike seems to be very lean. The two issues that usually cause this is float level is to low or the low speed circuit is plugged.
Did it run decent before he worked on the bike? Did the bike sit for years?
Ask him how he set the float height. If hr inverted the carbs to set the float height that is not right and will cause the symptoms you describe.:)
When you say low speed circuit do you mean the idle jet?It did not run well before the rebuild. It had sat for a year. I cleaned the carbs and I didn't have the confidence to rebuild so I had someone do it.He is 80 miles away from me.I think I might just trailer it up to him and see if he can get the carbs right.He seems to know he stuff but the back right carb leaked when i got it back.I was disappointed with that. He only works on old Wings. I am tired of taking out and putting in the carbs back in.I paid almost $500 to get carbs rebuilt with Rattacks rebuild kits .

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
he needs to make it right, but, is he trust worthy in that respect?
if he did the carbs wrong once, he may not know how to do them "right"
He seems to know what he is doing. I know its difficult to have someone rebuild them and then give them back and I install them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts