Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just got my 83 up and running. I put new stainless brake lines on it courtesy of Lopeha.

They work.

I dont like the way the front and back work together when using the back brake.

I did use the back brake occasionally on my GL1000 going around a corner. not sure I'd do it with this one.....

Anybody else?

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

I was taught from the beginning to use the front and rear brakes together. When I upgraded from my '80 to my '83 I didn't notice any difference.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

On my 83 and now on my 1500 I use the front most of the time. Then when needed the foot pedal. Old school.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

I only started riding last year. I took the MSF coarse where they pounded it into our heads to use both front and rear brakes. I got the wing in march or april of this year after just 6 months of riding, so I rode it by the book doing everything the instructors told us. I LOVE that linked brake. I can pull up to a stop and just gently apply the rear brake and the bike stops nice and smooth. I only need to pull the front brake on quick stops.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

blackknytecnc wrote:
I only started riding last year. I took the MSF coarse where they pounded it into our heads to use both front and rear brakes. I got the wing in march or april of this year after just 6 months of riding, so I rode it by the book doing everything the instructors told us. I LOVE that linked brake. I can pull up to a stop and just gently apply the rear brake and the bike stops nice and smooth. I only need to pull the front brake on quick stops.
Yes, I was very much like newday777 for 43+ years until I took a slow riding course through my Riding Club, sponsored by the Ottawa Safety Council. It was drummed into us to use the rear brake far more than the front, especially on turns, gravel/ice and slow speed maneuvers. I am now a 'convert'.
You will get used to the linked brakes. They work great and really are not much different feeling than a dedicated rear brake pedal, except that you can't/rarely lock up the rear tire, which is a plus in most instances to me.

Dusty

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

The linkage doesn't make much difference. In slow riding when you use the rear brake for speed control while riding the clutch, the rear pedal puts most of the braking effort on the rear wheel anyway so it still works.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
The linkage doesn't make much difference. In slow riding when you use the rear brake for speed control while riding the clutch, the rear pedal puts most of the braking effort on the rear wheel anyway so it still works.
I have always wondered what the split was. More on the rear? Do you have the actual ratio info?

As far as the love/hate: for me its both. I like the idea that if one master should fail still having a front brake, but I would like to use them idependantly for a few reasons on the rare times that it would be better.

Bill

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

but I would like to use them idependantly for a few reasons on the rare times that it would be better.
like trai braking.

I would use my back brake going around a corner I might have gone in to fast cause I can do it on a curve. not hard just enough to slow down a little.

using the front going around a curve - head fall downy....

I guess I'll get used to it. I'll have to. The thing is the one disk upfront just doesn't seem like enough on a 800lb bike. I am guessing that weight - what does an 83I dry weigh anyway?

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

dayum,

no wonder I can't push it uphill - not even a tiny bit up my drive and into my garage

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

So I am looking at this part and wondering what it does/how/if it needs adjusting?

That top screw looks stripped. Anybody find metric replacements for these?

I've tried to find metric screws for some moto stuff - none to be had except OEM. if it was available.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

That would be the anti-dive, I believe. You adjust that center screw to either stiffen or loosen the front end to control how much it dives in a hard stop.

I forgot to mention, about finding screws, as long as it doesn't have a funky shoulder or something like that I've been able to find all my metric screws at home depot or ace.

·
Premium Member
298 Posts
imported post

That's the anti-dive control. It comes into play when the front brakes are applied. The two sides should be set to the same number. It plugs up fairly easily so you may not notice much of a difference between the 4 number settings. When I changed my fork oil I had to remove the units to get the oil to drain. I cleaned them up and now I change the setting about every month or so.

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

those screws don't look like they are going to come out very nice.

I've been able to find some and not. Couldn't locate the proper screws for the fairing mirrors....

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Yeah, those screws for the fairing mirrors, assuming they're like the ones on the 1200, deffinately fall into the catagory of screws with funky shoulders. I would imagine a standard machine screw or tappered head oughta work for the anti-dive. As far as getting them out, better thee than me :action:. I've never pulled one of those anti-dives, but I would say just go ahead and drill the heads (at least the top one)and grab whats left of the exposed shafts with a vise-grip once the valve is off. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

I've had good luck loosening tough screws using a sharp chisel = screw is toast but so be it

what is this valve you speak of? whatever is behind that plate?

thanks

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Like I said, I've never pulled one or had any experience with it yet, but I'm assuming it's some kind of valve assembly with that cover plate being the control. One of the more experience members could probably confirm what's really behind it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.