Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok I did a search but still have ????'s
I had a leaking differential when I first got the bike so I grabbed a used 82 from ebay. Did a swap and all was well for about 8 months. Now the 82 rear end is leaking again. Its clearly from the rear. I changed the gear oil when I put it on. I noticed it when putting on new brake shoes yeasterday.

I still have the original rear drive and was wondering which seal is the one that normally leaks? I'm thinking about throwing the original up on the bench and seeing if I can replace the seal. I believe I can get the seal from BikeBandit. Not sure if its #31,32,33..

Is there special tools needed to replace the seal?? Thanks Guys for any help. JR

Bandit Rear Schematic

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
imported post

Have you checked the vent on the top of gear case, if its not venting it will build up pressure in case. :waving:

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Its looks like its coming out of the small drain thats on the bottom of the gear case. Doesn't seem to come from the front where it bolts to the swingarm.

I'll check the vent on top.Thanks

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I replaced the two large back to back seals on an 1100 that was leaking. In that case the oil was coming out and being flung on the wheel. Made a mess to clean up the wheel and tire. Those drive side seals aren't difficult to change, they are somewhat unusual in that you remove the threaded ring and have to push out the seals from both sides of the ring, I'd never come across two grease seals running back to back like that before.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Yep, that's them. It would also be a good idea to replace the two o-rings on the driven flange that plugs into the rear wheel. There is a large one just behind the spline on the flange and if I'm remembering right a smaller one inside the bore of the flange. Get some moly paste for the splines too. The pins on thesix pin flanges get a bit of lube but the pins on the five pin flanges go into the wheeldry.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
imported post

I have an 82 1100 with the same leak at bottom of rear differential. Anyone know if these seals are available thru BikeBandit or anyone else? Thanks much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.