Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:?:clapper: H-A-A-L-L-P !!:clapper:The 'Ghost needs a set of replacement Saddlebag Stays.I've been burned once already with a pair of '82 Aspencade Stays where the LEFT SIDE matches the right as a mirror image. MY PROBLEM IS THAT THIS DOESN'T WORK ON MY '83 Interstate. CAN SOMEBODY EXPLAIN? My bike's left stay platform, at the rear, isset back & to the outside with the rear support stanchion having a relief.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I'm not sure what you are referring to as "stays". Maybe a pic would help? Are you referring to the saddle bag mounts?

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Bagmaster,

Yes, A.K.A. "Mounts", the parts guys call 'em stays @ MR CYCLES. I can take a picture but I had hoped that someone might be able to help me sort this out by a reverse order process.

Like were the '83's the first year FCW's to get rear disc brakes? OR maybe there was something different in the Caliper chosen for that year? OR ????

Thanks for responding by the way.

Steve

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
I'm not sure what you are referring to as "stays". Maybe a pic would help? Are you referring to the saddle bag mounts?
My guess is that he is referring to the saddle bag mounts. And, I have noticed the same thing. The rail that is closest to the bike along the bottom of the bag has a curve in it on the left side. It is not a mirror image of the one on the right side.

Mine is an 83 Interstate.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thank-you AndyB !

OK. Now that I confirmed that I'm not the lone ranger, the next article of business is to find out why they're different from '82's.

Anybody know about the rear brake arrangement on pre-'83's?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I have an 82 and my brother is working on an 83 in his basement. I can always run up there and take some measurements and pics.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

like said the 82s are mirrors the 83s are close but not quite mirrors. I readthe problem but dontquite understand the relief thing. i would think they should interchange as the bags mount the same. the 83s have a dogleg on the left lowerside. I would think 82s should be fine??? cause i dont see the purpose of the dogleg on my 83s. ??? all goldwings have disc brakes The dogleg is behind the caliper on the 83s.i have a 82 and 3 83s here and cant really see why the 82s wont work on the 83 but??? I guess we will find out.The 83s also have a bend on the top left side maybe to get a little more clearance for the seat adjuster??. JB

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Mike/Bagmaster,

Well maybe we don't have to involve that latter procedure just yet. It's a N-A-A-S-S-S-TY night out there for my end. And I'll Edit this as a follow-up tomorrow and submit the pictures then, after all I opened this can'o'worms!

But Mike, If you've got an '82, how 'bout it? Do you have a rear Disc Brake?

If the answer is yes, how much trouble would it be to horse around the back left of that bad boy with a flashlight and see if its a mirror image of the right or if its got some different features?

I've got about 15 hours left b-4 I have to start bidding on this set I've found.

'Preciate your help on this my man!

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

JBz wrote:
like said the 82s are mirrors the 83s are close but not quite mirrors. I readthe problem but dontquite understand the relief thing. i would think they should interchange as the bags mount the same. the 83s have a dogleg that might set the rear crossover bumper down a tad but would think the 82s should be fine a slong as both sides are 82s. ???JB
JBz,

Well the '82's Left Stayrear riser/stantion is arrow straight. So as you attempt to install it the parts don't mate up like they should, and the '82platform ceases toalign with the '83tail piece/bumper that wraps around the rear tire.

And it's pretty obvious that the whole arrangement will have major disagreements with the Rear Brake Caliper if one was bull-headed enough to "encourage" it.

Going '82 on both sides isn't an answer either because there really isn't any difference on the right between the years. But that '82 Left doesn't agree with the '83 bikes features.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

I revised my post before I read your last one and will look at it again tomorrow and try to figure it out.The rear bumper on my 83s and 82s both measure at 10.25 inches on centers dogleg and no dogleg. JB

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

JBz wrote:
I revised my post before I read your last one and will look at it again tomorrow and try to figure it out.The rear bumper on my 83s and 82s both measure at 10.25 inches on centers dogleg and no dogleg. JB
JBz, Read your edit and respect your study of this. I picked this terminology up from rubbin' shoulders with Mill Wrights & Machinists.

That "Dog Leg" you're referring to is the relief I'm speaking about.So if your 'Wings are complete in this area you'll realize after a casual study that the seat adjuster is never affected by any of this because these back platform risers are rigid and fastened to the fender below the seats frame loop.

Nowif you study thesuspension travel as the "body work" hovers around it you'll see that rear caliper (on the '83) needs that odd rerouting of the riser and outset of the platform. Even if you just imagine the '82's arrangement in their place you'll see contact.

And I do seem to recall that the bumper piece didn't change { It's been a little over a year since I wrestled with this so I've lost touch with some of the finer points}. However there was no getting around this with a mix-n-match of parts, or doing a retro fit. That '83 has to have that tubing formed just that way to do the job and [short of firing up the welder to do a little field refab] nothing's to be done about it!

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

here is a picture of the 82 with bagmounts. JB

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

here is a picture of the 83. I got the bike tied down and cant swap them now as im working on the front forks and got the bike tied down on the lift. the passenger pegs are further forward and the added helmet lockbut i cant see where the 82s wont fit but like said I cant swap them out now. The 83s had a few changes and maybe they gave a little more clearancefor the rear caliper. Just curious did you actually try bolting it on. JB

Attachments

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Sorry I haven't gotten back to this sooner. Yes, my 82 has disc rear brakes. All Goldwings have disc brakes front and rear.

Since JBz is able to get pics up then maybe a shot from above looking down at the 2 bikes will show the offset better?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Correct me if I'm wrong but since the 83 trunk rack sits back further than the 82, wouldn't the top bolt mounts for the bags be off by that distance if you're using 83 mounts on an 82? And the other way around?

We must not forget the trunk rack and saddlebag mounts are all part of the same bag mounting system.

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
Sorry I haven't gotten back to this sooner. Yes, my 82 has disc rear brakes. All Goldwings have disc brakes front and rear.

Since JBz is able to get pics up then maybe a shot from above looking down at the 2 bikes will show the offset better?
there is actually a rain and mud guard in there that I would have to take out for a top view. Personally I dont mind helping anybody if I can but I think it would be best to know if hetried bolting his on and let us know whats hitting or where the actual problem lies and we go from there. JB

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

JBz wrote:
Bagmaster wrote:

there is actually a rain and mud guard in there that I would have to take out for a top view. Personally I dont mind helping anybody if I can but I think it would be best to know if hetried bolting his on and let us know whats hitting or where the actual problem lies and we go from there. JB
Ok, let me clarify that a bit. Not exactly straight down but more like a shot from the rear just a bit looking down and off to the side a little bit. I'd have to ride 35 miles to my brothers right now to compare them and his are still off the bike.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
JBz wrote:
Bagmaster wrote:

Ok, let me clarify that a bit. Not exactly straight down but more like a shot from the rear just a bit looking down and off to the side a little bit. I'd have to ride 35 miles to my brothers right now to compare them and his are still off the bike.
Thanks you guys for all this effort. Here's the picture comparison of the two, the '82 Aspencade stay on the ground below. And yes I did try to put the '82 stay on. It's a no go as I spoke to above. It's not to difficult to see why in this picture. Maybe the '83's caliper is set back to the rear more than in the earlier years?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

JBz wrote:
Bagmaster wrote:

SHOOT JBz!! I think I see the difference in the Caliper position of those bikes, that '83's got to have a 2 to 3 inch set-back to the rear don't you think?

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

I measured from the swing arm cap to the lower mounting bolt of the caliper on both the 82 and the 83 and they both measure the same at 20 3/4 and 23 3/8 from the swingarm cap to the very end of the caliper not including the water splasher gizmo which neither has on so I cant see any differance there.JB

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.