Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
JR
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Merry Christmas everyone! Now that the holiday is over I have decided to do some service tomy 1100. I'll start at the back with a new tire, brake rotor, brake pads and wheel bearings. Can anyone suggest a good place to get the rotor and wheel bearings? I figure my local NAPA should have the brake pads, drive fluid and Moly 60. Thanks! and Happy New Year!

JR

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
imported post

EBC make a good aftermarket rear rotor almost the only choice for new left. Be aware though that most 1200 rear rotors fit as well and good used ones are easy to find on Ebay. As for bearings I prefer AllBalls bearings easy to get from many suppliers. OEM pads are still avilable from honda in many places EBC also has several choices, Stay away from the really cheapy pads! They not only don't last but often damage rotors too.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

sle104 wrote:
Dont think napa would have pads I would recomend parts N more have everything you would need
Napa will probably not have Moly paste also.

Most motorcycle and car/truck dealers should have or be able to get the paste for you, as well as a Loctite dealer. Most parts stores carry Permatex products and Permatex is a subsidiary of Loctite but the paste is not marketed under the Permatex name.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

SuperSkypilot wrote:
The rotors are turn-able, most real parts stores will turn them for about $15.00

Steve
Yes with the right tools anything is turn-able but the rotor in question is only 7mm thick with a 6mm service limit.
That leaves only 0.5mm or 0.02" each side to play with.
So in my humble opinion if it needs turning it's probably toast.

·
JR
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Hey thank you guys for the suggestions. I have made a decision to do the work in my unheated 12x16 shed. Easier to heat and work on than relatives location. My Eden Pure heater should make it tolerable. I'll be posting photos as my work progresses. I really appreciate everyone's help as this will be my first time tear down. Happy New Year! JR

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Hit up BikeBandit.com for Genuine Honda moly60 paste and a price on EBC Brand rotors and pads.

·
JR
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks Rusty. I just checked out the Parts-n-More web site and they had no listing for the brake rotor or wheel bearings.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
imported post

When you get your new wheel bearings you might want to take a thin pick or screw driver and pop the dust seal off so you can check the grease in the bearings. Minehad a very thin film of what looked like vaseline in them. I cleaned that out and packed them with wheel bearing grease beforeI installed them.

·
JR
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Stu thank you for sll the links! These are helpful. How about tires guys? I currently have Metzler but will switch to Bridgestone per owners manual. Anybody riding on the S11 Spitfire? The Exedra G702 looks good to me. Thanks again for your input. I'm looking forward to getting started as soon as I have my bearings, rotor and rear tire.
JR

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Owners manual is old news. Avon seem to be the better choice, my friend went to them recently, others will disagree.
Good choice getting rid of the Metzlers, had 3 on my own 1100 rear split along the tread 6", others delaminate and loose chunks and so did my friend's.
Some like the Bridgestone spitfire, I never ran a set.

·
JR
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

When I got the 1100 back in June I noticed the rear tire had rub marks on the right side. Crawled under and found very little clearance between the tire and swingarm. Filled her up with air and have had no problems since. I just want to be sure I get the proper size. I know that different manufacturers with the same tire size can have different actual sizes.

JR

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

My Metzlers were 140/90-16

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.