Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello, I have an 84 1200 Aspencade that has been running rough.Bought it 3 years ago and it has gotten worse every year. When I use the throttle to go it seems to have no power, I have to keep choke on1/2 way all the time just to keep running. Backfires when downshifting or starting after it has run for awhile. I just had the carbs redone - new floats and needles, and synchronized.New fuel filter, air filter, and stator.Runs a little better but still has problems. When I accelerate it seems to be under a load and will not get up to speed very well. After I am up to speed bike seems to pulsate. Slow and then fast - back and forth. Only got 98 miles out of a tank of gas - should be double this. Any help would be appreciated. Its no fun to ridein this condition.

Thanks, Patrick :gunhead:

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the carbs need cleaning, but wait for a while until some of the more clued up 1200 owners arrive. BTW wlecome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

psdevlin wrote:
Hello, I have an 84 1200 Aspencade that has been running rough.Bought it 3 years ago and it has gotten worse every year. When I use the throttle to go it seems to have no power, I have to keep choke on1/2 way all the time just to keep running. Backfires when downshifting or starting after it has run for awhile. I just had the carbs redone - new floats and needles, and synchronized.New fuel filter, air filter, and stator.Runs a little better but still has problems. When I accelerate it seems to be under a load and will not get up to speed very well. After I am up to speed bike seems to pulsate. Slow and then fast - back and forth. Only got 98 miles out of a tank of gas - should be double this. Any help would be appreciated. Its no fun to ridein this condition.
Patrick, with that choke (enrichener) effecting the way it runs it sure sounds like a fuel related problem. Complaints like yours usually end up being carb related & with the way it runs it sure sounds like you still have carb problems... How far into the carbs did the "carbs redone" go?.. It sounds more like a plugged passage or plugged jet problem. It could even be the pilot jet air cut-off(s) not functioning properly or leaking.

Probably the place to start is to pull the fuel line on the carb side of the fuel filter & MAKE SURE you have a good steady stream of fuel flowing at forAT LEAST 30 seconds (don't short the test time), if OK there, then open the carb bowl drains one at a time & check for a good fuel flow (again for 30 seconds or longer). If the fuel tank isn't full you will have to have the igh switch on to run the fuel pump for the test.

Also make sure your fuel pump is operational.

If the fuel flow tests out OK then it sure sounds like it's into the carbs again & a complete test of the pilot jet air cut-off & anemission system operational test. (it's all in the service manual).

Twisty

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the 'Net, Patrick!:waving::waving:

What a fine name you have for this forum! The fact that you have to run with 1/2 choke says the carbs are very unhappy. Sounds like the carbs weren't cleaned all that well even though I'm sure they charged enough to make up for that. It could be something as simple as a bad fuel pump, plugged fuel filter,bad petcock, vacuum leak or something in the fuel supply. Some things I'd try first would be to take a look at the level of the fuel in the float bowls, if they are okay it's probably dirt in the carbs that need to be cleaned with carb cleaner and compressed air, if the bowl levels are low it's likely to be in the fuel supply, pull off the fuel line and put the fuel line in a can and see how the fuel delivery looks. You might first take out the plugs and see if all four of them look about the same, i.e. do you have a problem with one carb or more. Get a copy of Clymers manual for your bike ASAP, it will give you a lot of help. A Honda Service Manual is also excellent but a bit more expensive and assumes you have some mechanical experience. Feel free to ask questions, we all want to help. It's a shame you haven't had a good ride yet on such a fine machine, persevere and it will be worth it. In the future I think I'd look for another shop.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

Hey psdevlin :waving: Welcome to the forum. :clapper:We hope u enjoy this place. :jumper:

:walker::18red::walker:

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

Go back to the basics.. Is the fuel fresh? Is the filter free flowing? (Just because it's new, it could be defective). Fuel pump pressure normal? I've seen neoprene fuel lines that have obstructions inside. Honda has a step by step procedure for testing the fuel system all the way to the carbs. Even though the bike has been worked on, it may not have been done properly..

It seems that something was overelooked and if the job was done properly, everything should fall into place.. Something else to look into is the pulse generator. It may be weak or intermittent.. On your model bike, it's located on the rear of the engine..

As mentioned above, the repair manuals will give all the information needed to correct the bike. Good luck and let us know what you find...

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks to all for your suggestions, I currently have carbon cleaner fluid in gas to try to help lean up old carbon. Tech. at Honda dealer said since it is 21 years old that it may need the carbon blown out. He said to use some cleaner and to run it hard for a couple tanks of gas. He said if that doesn't work then bring it back and they will check it again. This could be an expensive problem by the time it is all said and done (Especially at $60.00 an hour for labor). I will wait until I refill to do fluid test. What kind of flow rate should I have from pump? As far as he pulse generator - how hard or expensive is this to change? I read somewhere the engine has to be removed. I am still baffled by the pulsing power back and forth. I amy have to break down and buy a Clymer's manual.

Patrick

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

psdevlin wrote:
Thanks to all for your suggestions, I currently have carbon cleaner fluid in gas to try to help lean up old carbon. Tech. at Honda dealer said since it is 21 years old that it may need the carbon blown out. He said to use some cleaner and to run it hard for a couple tanks of gas. He said if that doesn't work then bring it back and they will check it again. This could be an expensive problem by the time it is all said and done (Especially at $60.00 an hour for labor). I will wait until I refill to do fluid test. What kind of flow rate should I have from pump? As far as he pulse generator - how hard or expensive is this to change? I read somewhere the engine has to be removed. I am still baffled by the pulsing power back and forth. I amy have to break down and buy a Clymer's manual.

Patrick
Patrick, if the fuel pump is working correctly it should pump out 500cc (16.9 oz) per minute. The fuel system between the tank & pump MUST NOT have any restrictions or the pump flow will be low so make sure the filter & tank shut-offare free & not causing any restriction before testing the pump. If you want to do a pump test you can access the pump relay under the coil, then connect a jumper wire between the white & black wire on the harness side of the connector, then turn the ign switch on & that will power up the pump. You could also just pull the pump connector & power it up there but must be conscious of the pump polarity.

On that pulse generator, you can do it without pulling the engine but that requires a lot of extra work. It's usually quicker to pull the engine. I doubt you have a pulse generator problem as those usually quit either hot or cold & usually don't just act up at low rpm's. It you had a bad pulse generator I doubt adding more choke would allow it to run better. In most cases if adding more choke helps you have a fuel problem (either carb or fuel flow).

Twisty

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.