Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2000 SE
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just finished installing Poorboy conversion... works perfect. On second test ride after competing this job, (on a HOT day) the bike started a new behaviour. I can only describe this as "as if I turned the key off then on as fast as I can". No backfires or anything... just skips a few beats then keeps on running.

As I read all posts relating to this... all pulse generator, ignition switch, and computerrelated issues sounddiffrerent symptoms, so I'm not sure what to do except get the hair dryer out.

Anyone had this exact symptom? Gonna check ign. switch connector per garyft for starters, but haven't heard anyone else with same issue yet...

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,957 Posts
imported post

Above the starter solenoid is a big plug. Check that for burning, loose wires etc. Then check for same under the false tank (have to remove it) around the coil mounting plates and regulator.

It's a wire, or wires, in distress. :(

Let us know what you find.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

I had a similar symptom several years ago when I hit a bump. Every night I hit the same bump, every night the same symptom (off/on). I went looking and found that I had forgotten to re-connect the positive battery cable after working on something. The positive cable was just sitting next to the positive lug of the battery, for several hundred miles....
It works better when you tighten that thing down.

Like Dennis said, it's a wire.

·
Premium Member
2000 SE
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I tightenned down the screws on the main 30A fuse... no more problems (so far) after 3hrs riding time in heat. Must have been it.

I was kinda upset when I went after this problem so I can't remember whether the screw was really loose or not when I first put screwdriver to it... anyway, time will tell.

Agree must be a wire because no other symptom (backfire, one or more cyl's missing etc). Thanks for your advice. JB

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.