Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At 3000 rpm the engine bogs down if I add choke it responds, I set the floats at 7.5 mm checked for vacuum leaks switched fuel pumps (same problem) I can blow thru the gasoline filter, clear. So what in the hell is going on with this bike? Any help or magic solutions? P.s my 1100 is starting to resemble the same problem, hmmmmmm.

·
Administrator
26,718 Posts
That indicates it's running too lean. What kind of air filter do you have in it?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Or plugged jets... I believe there are 2 jets a slow speed jet and a main jet are you sure that all these are open?
What speed does it idle at (after warm and no choke)? it should be around 900 RPM.
Have you checked the 'idle" speed adjustments and are they equal and about 2 turns out?

My 85 Asp had a similar problem and all new jets fixed it,

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Or plugged jets... I believe there are 2 jets a slow speed jet and a main jet are you sure that all these care open?
What speed does it idle at (after warm and no choke)? it should be around 900 RPM.
Have you checked the 'idle" speed adjustments and are they equal and about 2 turns out?

My 85 Asp had a similar problem and all new jets fixed it,

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Has it always done this, or did it happen after recent work?

Rayjoe

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,847 Posts

·
Administrator
26,718 Posts
Clean reusable washed filter the plugs are dark no brown slightly wet.
There may well be the problem as Dennis, or was it Bike, already said. Any of those reusable filters I find go immediately in file 13. They allow more air with the downside of more dirt and those engines are designed to run lean already.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,429 Posts
+3,
trash any reusable air filter you find.....
OEM type, paper filters only for every vehicle that I own.

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Mastercylinder don't leave us hanging. Did you figure out the problem??

Rayjoe

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Mastercylinder don't leave us hanging. Did you figure out the problem??

Rayjoe
Well no I reset all float bowls cleaned all parts still bogging down at 2000 or higher, question should you get air when pumping air thru the gas lines when the float pistons are not sealing the float bowls? I have 2 seperate gw 1200 carbs 1 is a calif model (no air thru fuel line) float pistons not sealing bowls and the other is 49 state (air thru fuel line) not sealing float bowls..weird at best which is correct ? Tried 2 different fuel pumps
same thing, maybe intake valve/valves burned??? Hmmmmmm.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jets on line 7.5 mm adjust.. could balancing the carbs make a major difference? I’m a highly technical maniac Check everything twice..

·
Administrator
26,718 Posts
Well no I reset all float bowls cleaned all parts still bogging down at 2000 or higher, question should you get air when pumping air thru the gas lines when the float pistons are not sealing the float bowls? I have 2 seperate gw 1200 carbs 1 is a calif model (no air thru fuel line) float pistons not sealing bowls and the other is 49 state (air thru fuel line) not sealing float bowls..weird at best which is correct ? Tried 2 different fuel pumps
same thing, maybe intake valve/valves burned??? Hmmmmmm.
Trying to understand what you are asking. You should be able to blow in the line to the carbs with them upright and empty of fuel but should not be able to blow in them when upside down. The intake valves have nothing to do with that.
The floats have to be set correctly with the float just resting on the pin in the valve needle, not compressing it.
"Jets on line 7.5 mm adjust.. could balancing the carbs make a major difference?"
If the jets you got were not original equipment get rid of them. No, balancing the carbs will not help your situation. Do that after it's running right to get a smooth idle.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bought a kit on line I kept the originals, are the jets you buy crappy on line? They seem to be the right size.. I'm trying to add things but this crapy word correction on line won't allow me to use....

1 - 20 of 36 Posts