Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,372 Posts
off brand jets almost never work correctly, only the Honda jets/needles work properly

·
Administrator
26,699 Posts
I bought a kit on line I kept the originals, are the jets you buy crappy on line? They seem to be the right size.. I'm trying to add things but this crapy word correction on line won't allow me to use....
If you can confirm the jets are the exact right size by using a wire gauge in them then then they are fine, don't trust the numbers on them. There is nothing wrong with the original jets if they are clean.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,372 Posts
45 or more degrees.
IIRC, the carbs must be precisely at 90* to normal, so that the floats are hanging down when the tension is adjusted to just barely close off the jet.

If the carb is at any other angle, the tension is wrong.

·
Administrator
26,699 Posts
IIRC, the carbs must be precisely at 90* to normal, so that the floats are hanging down when the tension is adjusted to just barely close off the jet.

If the carb is at any other angle, the tension is wrong.
Not quite 90, or a little more than depending on how you look at it. They have to be leaned back enough for the float tab to rest on the pin.

Reactions: Bike...and Dennis

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Done right.. Weird problem... Checked coils with strobe all firing checked fuel pump pumping away plugs look a little thin at electrodes but crap plugs are the same all thin at point of firing..will try platinum...

·
Administrator
26,699 Posts
Done right.. Weird problem... Checked coils with strobe all firing checked fuel pump pumping away plugs look a little thin at electrodes but crap plugs are the same all thin at point of firing..will try platinum...
The only correct plugs are only the correct plugs, what came in it. Platinum is not going to help you.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I'm going to call in an exorcist this damm thing is pissing me off, I'm very mechanical rebuilt many but this is over the top.

·
Administrator
26,699 Posts
What exactly do you have going on? Is it still the original problem with bogging down? These carbs are very particular about everything being right, all passages clean including air passages, float settings etc. Is the cam timing correct? Is it possible the exhaust is plugged? Have you had it running right or is it new to you?

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
My bike for 15yrs I replaced the timing belts 40k miles or so would one tooth out throw it that off carbs etc?

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,830 Posts
One tooth off will make the bike sound like a helicopter. Maybe make it rev a little less aggressively. Probably not what you're experiencing.

·
Administrator
26,699 Posts
My bike for 15yrs I replaced the timing belts 40k miles or so would one tooth out throw it that off carbs etc?
Depends on the direction it's off. If 1 tooth advanced it would not want to rev to high RPMs, 1 tooth retarded it wouldn't have any low end power. If this started immediately after changing the belts I would suspect that.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts