Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I received the new pump same part no 16700-MG9-771. And the spec's are as follows
  • Yr’s 1984 -> 86 part no. 16700-MG9-771 = 500 cc / min = 30 L/hr ,
  • Yr 1987 part no. 16700-ML8-601 = 750 cc/min = 45 L/hr
After reinstalling the pump my fuel pump readings were as follows
  • w/ gas cap on & w/fuel filter in line = 800 cc / min = 48 L/Hr
  • w/ gas cap off on & w/fuel filter in line = 900 cc/min = 54 L/Hr
  • After I started the bike with the new pump on, I ran it in the garage for a short time (15 – 20 min’s) and I noticed some fuel leaking out of the float bowl on carbs 1 & 3. So didn't take it for a ride because of the leak. So now I have to look at them. And put new seals in the carbs. And try to find a fuel pump that meets the 84 spec. I called the Fuel pump factory and asked them if they could make a pump that meets the 30 L/Hr and they said no.

·
Administrator
29,152 Posts
I received the new pump same part no 16700-MG9-771. And the spec's are as follows
  • Yr’s 1984 -> 86 part no. 16700-MG9-771 = 500 cc / min = 30 L/hr ,
  • Yr 1987 part no. 16700-ML8-601 = 750 cc/min = 45 L/hr
After reinstalling the pump my fuel pump readings were as follows
  • w/ gas cap on & w/fuel filter in line = 800 cc / min = 48 L/Hr
  • w/ gas cap off on & w/fuel filter in line = 900 cc/min = 54 L/Hr
  • After I started the bike with the new pump on, I ran it in the garage for a short time (15 – 20 min’s) and I noticed some fuel leaking out of the float bowl on carbs 1 & 3. So didn't take it for a ride because of the leak. So now I have to look at them. And put new seals in the carbs. And try to find a fuel pump that meets the 84 spec. I called the Fuel pump factory and asked them if they could make a pump that meets the 30 L/Hr and they said no.
Nothing wrong with more volume as long as the pressure is within specs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
When you add more volume you also add more pressure. Unless you change the size of the container that the volume is going into. Which in this case the bowls did not change. So for me the more volume forced the leeks in the bowls in 2 of the 4 bowls

·
Administrator
29,152 Posts
When you add more volume you also add more pressure.
Not true. Volume and pressure are 2 entirely different and unrelated things. Rules of hydraulics apply. The original pump put out more volume that was needed but didn't over pressure.

·
Registered
1988 Honda GL1500
846 Posts
Definately pressure that matters, yes if there is no pressure regulator or cut out forcing more volume in same space will raise pressure BUT the pump should have a regulator or cut out on it, having said that if the new one is a higher set point than original it could easily be forcing the needle valves off their seats and cause flooding.
Under normal conditions a fuel pump for carbs runs a lot lower pressure than a pump for injectors

·
Administrator
29,152 Posts
forcing more volume in same space will raise pressure
Pressure is the force that would put more volume in the same space if it is something compressible. It doesn't matter the size of the space, pressure is equal.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts