Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello,

I just bought a GL1200 interstate as my touring bike. (The VTX1800 isn't much fun after a few hours :action:) During my check out, I found that I have no rear brake action. The pedal has some resistance but not much. I checked the reservoir and it is full with clear looking fluid. When I push the pedal, I don't see any disturbances in the reservoir. I don't have any history on it.

Where should I start looking? Beading the system, rebuild M/C, caliper over travel, something else?

thanks!

Todd

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
imported post

Having the same problem with a friends bike. We bled the system so next step is to check the caliper and master.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
imported post

Is the pedal going clear down and bottoming out? or does the pedal firm up and the brakes just don't apply? If yuo pump the pedal does it firm up? Does the front (left I think) caliper apply when operating the rear brake pedal? This could tell you if the caliper is hanging up or if you need to bleed the system.

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
imported post

Thats where I would start,bleed the system then go for master cyl.Possible they did work on it and has air in system or master cyl needs rebuilt.Have just ran into to like concern except with clutch on my 84.Had set for a long while before I got it.Everyone said build master cyl's due to that but I had hope's of making it to winter....NOT:smiler:Got one 400 mile trip and let me down Saturday,at least close to home.Now will go ahead and rebuild all.Hang tight,you will get plenty of help and info from some very good people that know the 84 a lot better than me.Welcome to the forum if I missed you,you will be glad you came.

Yep..see your in good hands already.....jwhitmore44:applause:

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
imported post

jwhitmore44 wrote:
Is the pedal going clear down and bottoming out? or does the pedal firm up and the brakes just don't apply? If yuo pump the pedal does it firm up? Does the front (left I think) caliper apply when operating the rear brake pedal? This could tell you if the caliper is hanging up or if you need to bleed the system.
The bottoming out deal is what is happening to my friends 84. So I am thinking it is the master.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Bleeding the system is a little more complicated than on regular brakes. The brake pedal controls the right front and rear brakes both. In tried doing it the conventional way, got the front brake to work for a little while, then it quit. Rear brake never did work. Part of the problem is that the line from the rear master cylinder goes UPHILL before coming back down to the front brake. I finally put speed bleeders on the right front and rear calipers, bled the rear one first, then the front. After pumping about a qt. of fluid through it, I finally got both brakes to work. Sort of. If you hold pressure on the pedal, it will gradually go all the way down. The primary seal in the master cylinder is bad. You can get kits to rebuild them. And if I ever get this bike running, then I will rebuild the master cylinder.

I personally do not like linked brakes, and intend to redo them so they work the way motorcycle brakes are supposed to work. I found that the front hoses from an '02 Kawasaki Nomad complete with junction block are the perfect size to fit the front, one hose connects to the front master cylinder, then it splits into two hoses, and one goes to each front caliper. The back is somewhat easier, just plug the port on the rear master cylinder where the line that goes to the right front brake was connected. Now the rear master cylinder will work on ly the rear brake, and you will have both front discs under your right hand.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
imported post

Check and see if the Right Front Caliper is working. On my '84 Aspy the LH rear and RH front calipers are tied together. That may indicate if the problem is in the master cylinder or the rear caliper. Check for leaks and bleed the system.

Bob

·
Premium Member
353 Posts
imported post

`Jerry H, How did the conversion work out for you? I am interested in using the KZ Nomad hoses to unlink my brakes. I have had no success getting my brakes to firm-up no matter how much bleeding I do nor what method. I just rebuilt my rear master and it changed nothing.I can also say that the hand brake to the left front is mushy too. I have not put stainless lines on it but many swear by them. Thanks
Bobby

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

The pedal goes to the floor and pumping doesn't help. I'll get on bleeding them tomorrow and keep u posted.

Thanks all!

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

Pedal bottoming out without building pressure sounds like a bad cup in the master cylinder. Start with bleeding but if it doesn't pump up it may not bleed. If you can borrow a vacuum bleeder it may help.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

i have both vacuum and pressure bleaders for my cars. I may also try the turky baster reverse thing.

start with the front right, left rear or does it matter?

thanks again every one

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Did a good bleed with a helper and vacuum pump and they are great! The hardest part was getting the bag off to get to the rear caliper.

Thanks for the help everyone!

·
Premium Member
209 Posts
imported post

Congrats,enjoy the ride and enjoy the forum.:waving:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.