Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I have a gl1200 with carbs that I picked up and was not running. I’ve change the plugs etc and was told the carbs had been rebuilt. But the bike will not start so far I have checked that I am getting spark to all 4 cylinders with the old school method of pull the plug and see it it sparks against the frame and they do. Then checked compression and got 140 140 150 145 across the cyclnders. Fuel pump is working checked that I am getting fuel in all the carb bowls. Fresh battery etc.
Need some help on what to look at next before I do any more work. The bike is in neutral as I can spin the tire but I know the sensor is having issues as the neutral light not on and I have to pull the clutch in to trip the clutch switch for it to turn over. No fluid in clutch reserve as it is leading and needs to be rebuilt. Sorry for the novel.

·
Average Goldwing Rider
1,064 Posts
Based on the compression numbers and that it has spark, it should run. Three things are needed, air, properly timed spark and fuel.Make sure the correct plug wires are going to the correct cylinder. The carbs are the most difficult part of getting a four cylinder GL running. You might try using starter fluid to see if it will pop.How long has the bike been sitting? If it has been a while you might be in for some carb work.

·
Premium Member
6,121 Posts
Ok so I have a gl1200 with carbs that I picked up and was not running. I’ve change the plugs etc and was told the carbs had been rebuilt. But the bike will not start so far I have checked that I am getting spark to all 4 cylinders with the old school method of pull the plug and see it it sparks against the frame and they do. Then checked compression and got 140 140 150 145 across the cyclnders. Fuel pump is working checked that I am getting fuel in all the carb bowls. Fresh battery etc.
Need some help on what to look at next before I do any more work. The bike is in neutral as I can spin the tire but I know the sensor is having issues as the neutral light not on and I have to pull the clutch in to trip the clutch switch for it to turn over. No fluid in clutch reserve as it is leading and needs to be rebuilt. Sorry for the novel.
Try giving the bike a spritz of gas or a little shot of ether. I suspect it will try to run which means that you probably need to go back to the carbs in spite of what you have been told.
These carbs are very fussy and many "rebuild" them to find they still aren't right or even worse than when they started. First you need to be sure of the issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts