Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

How involved of a job is replacing these? I've done seals but not on a Honda. After I thought I was on the road after repairing 33 stinkin problems, now I have oil saturating my front brakes "again". Calipers a month ago leaked all over them.:cussing:

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

yeah bummer!!...a litter harder with full fairing but not bad...need a jack....easy way is to loosen the caps 1st(dont forget)...pull the forks and take em in to the shop to do em up....seals and sliders....at home... a messy and oily 3 stooges scene....they can use the impact to get the bottom allen out and wash em out real good too in the tank...you put em back on...bingo!...unless you want to do em....not too bad a job
oh did you do the sliders too....thats why the seals went fast

·
Premium Member
550 Posts
imported post

Don't know, but if you're anywhere near Montrose, I have a good mechanic here who works on my 84 Interstate and does a great job.

I guess it would depend on how mechanically inclined you are whether it would be a big thing or not. I don't think it's that major, but I don't have tools, place, or knowledge to do it myself.

I would think the biggest deal would be taking the wheel and forks off the bike and getting to the seals.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks guys, I'll probably attempt it myself one of these days. My dad "gave me" this motorcycle and I've ridden it now probably all of 200-300 miles in the 3 yrs or so I've owned it, and I'm not kidding saying I've probably put close to $1000 in repairs just for the parts doing all the work myself. It's not that it was junk either, all these problems come up every single time I think about riding it, one after another. Hasn't been a real stellar purchase even for free. :)

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

if you let it sit things will rot...like fork seals...keep it on the center stand at least
try a good days ride at least once a month min.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

on the 1200 it is very easy to do the seals. just need a 6mm/7mm allen socket ( cant remember ) for the bottom bolt. which should be done with an impact gun or an impact screwdriver if possible. could be done by hand but it is very easy to damage the bolts head. then once the bottom bolt is removed, then loosen the camps, remove the fork legs off the bike, just remove the top compartment. need a regular L type allen wrench and undo 3 bolts of each side of the triple tree. once on the bench, with the help of a friend unto the caps. they spring tension aint that hard, just be careful. once you removed the springs. use a flat screwdriver to pop the dust seal. you need to remove a clip and once the lock clip is removed, jack the fork slider and inner tube apart and the oil seal will pop magically.
clean everything. and you need a piece of pvc tuving to install the new seal in place. use the old oil seal to protect the new sea. put it on top of it and then hit it with a hammer using the pvc tubing as guide.

before you start. you need to let all the air out. when you remove the bottom allen bolts oil will come out. so be ready with something to collect it. you can just loosen it and undo it once the fork legs are off. before you take the fork legs. there is a small ring that must be removed to get them out. once you removed the triple tree bolts slide it down and you will see it.

on my signature you can find the manuals for the 1200 and on my picture thread i have some pics of the process when i did my seals.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Well thanks for the tips. It went relatively smoothly. Of course after installation, I went to start the motorcycle and it was dead, charged the battery overnight and it's still dead. So problem and expense #33 I guess, I'll buy another new battery. Just out of curiosity, how many batteries do you guys go through? Since my dad bought this thing in 1984 we've gone through about 15 of them I'd guess, doesn't matter Yuasa, or Taiwan, battery every 12-18 months.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

that seems to be a lot of batteries, i would be checking out the charging system, all the info you need to check it out is right here on this forum

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
imported post

You have a point on the batteries. I just got 82 Aspen and the dude said after he replaced it a couple times, he started disconnecting the bat if he would longer be than 5 hours off. I figured a short he couldn't find. After gettin into the bike i found he was just simply a Friggin Idiot. Has to be a short somewhere.:(

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

when you remove the top caps, make sure you have a secure grip as it will come off with great alacrity and smack you real good....

putting it back on is a bit of a chore as well, as it is difficult to push the cap in and start the threads and not cross thread it.... what I did was to take a 2x4 drill a hole big enough for my socket extension to fit through, then my helper pushed down on the 2x4 allowing the cap to seat and then thread in

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
what I did was to take a 2x4 drill a hole big enough for my socket extension to fit through, then my helper pushed down on the 2x4 allowing the cap to seat and then thread in
Roger, brilliant ideal. :bowing::bowing:

Ride Safe,Ray

:waving:

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

it did take me about an hour of fighting with the caps to figure that out... and of course, I was putting in progressive springs so it was even more difficult

once my wife pressed down with the 2x4, it was a breeze

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.