Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang,

I'm from Rochester, NY and my 84 Aspencade will run for a little while and then stalls out like it is out of gas. This started last fall before I put it up for the winter. I thought it was the fuel filter so I changed it out with an OEM filter and I pulled off the intake and cleaned the carburetors, but it is still doing the same thing. One different thing that I noticed this weekend is that when it stalls out the fuel pump makes a clicking or chattering noise. Any ideas what I should try next? Do you think it could be the fuel pump? Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Premium Member
5,725 Posts
Pull off the fuel line after the pump and aim it in to a jar. Turn the key on. Every time you bump the start button do you get a decent amount of fuel from the pump? There is a screen inside the tank that can varnish/plug especially if the bike sits for a long time. Then the obvious that the pump might have failed. Start there????

·
Administrator
24,660 Posts
The pump will make a clattering noise when it can't get enough fuel, clogged from the tank or sucking air.

·
Premium Member
5,725 Posts
To fo;;ow up on what Dave said. The pump can click occasionally and that is normal. If it clicks so fast it can be descibed as a chateer it is not pushing any gas. That can mean the tank is empty, it is sucking air from an air leak before the pump, Something is plugged or pinched before the pump or the pump has failed. Click, pause click is normal. The length of the pause is longer the smaller the amount of fuel the engine is using. Long pauses at idle. Shorter pauses as you work the engine harder.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts