Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The speedometer has been intermittent on my Aspencade for most of last summer. I've been doing a lot of reading. Many posts point to a possible faulty speed sensor. I took it apart. Apparently it's been a problem before, as this one has already been epoxied up, and the screws have been partially stripped....someone's been in here before. I've had troubles with leaking forks (solved now), and the sensor was drenched in fork oil. That probably contributed to the failure. Still....could it be the speedometer unit itself? Most other things light up, as does the tachometer.
  • I've verified that the gear unit on the hub turns as it should
  • I pulled the sensor, and tested it with a drill. Nothing on the speedo.
    (Yes, the key was on. Yes, I tried both directions.)
I've read that I should verify that the voltage coming out of the sensor is as expected (8 drops between 0 and around 5 volts per turn of the sensor.) However, the thing is covered in epoxy. How do I get to the other end of the cable. (I'll especially need to know this if I can locate a replacement sensor/cable). Is it somewhere hidden inside the fairing on its way to the speedo unit? Does it terminate under the gas tank before heading up to the speedo unit? I can find lots of threads telling me how to do the test, but I can't find where the cable terminates.

Extra credit: I've read about doing the repair by replacing the hall effect sensor in the sensor itself. I've also read that some Valkyrie sensors can serve as a replacement with a minor modification. What suggestions do you have?

Much appreciated!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If anyone else stumbles upon this thread:
On a 1984 GL1200 Aspencade, the speedo cable terminates into a molex connector that is on the left side under the fake tank.(Pull the seat and fake tank off to access it.)

For me, the sensor was bad. My old one had been previously repaired, and was completely covered in epoxy. Sadly, this repair job eventually failed. The replacement I purchased off eBay has also been repaired, and the guts of the sensor are encased in epoxy again. It works....for now. :)

·
Administrator
26,567 Posts
Sorry I must have missed your thread. I do read all of them that I see. Glad you got it fixed.

Reactions: gregjo
1 - 3 of 3 Posts