Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm hoping to dump the 84 Goldwing off soon if I can ever finally get everything fixed for that long:). My question is how much better are the new ones. Is there better ventilation to keep from cooking on hot summer days, much better handling and horsepower? Harder or easier to maintain? The electric grips and seat make a big difference in cold weather? I'm debating and like to hear from anyone who's owned both models to compare.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Never owned a older wing, but have rode them.

All I can say is if you buy a new or used 1800 there will be this grin on your face so big you will have to use two layers of gorilla tape to get it under control.

Yes they have power, balance, and perfect brakes. Yes it is a much better bike and has instant response with the fuel injection.

The newer bike are just like cars, as technology improves so do they, the only down side is figuring out how to fix them sometimes. That can be a challenge sure enough.

Kit

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

The new bikes are all they claim to be & more.

The reliability factor is what makes our bikes the therapy we need. If our bikes allow for ANY stress, we may as well just sell it now.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

dump the 84 Goldwing ... that sounds so sad

·
Premium Member
20,585 Posts
imported post

Ron, I had a 85 1200 Aspy before I got my 1800.

The engineering advances from the 1200 to the 1800 is amazing. Once you ride a 1800, get ready because you'll own one. My suggestion would be to go ride one and see if you can keep the smile off your face! :cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
627 Posts
imported post

i'm keeping my LTD and soon will be taking delivery of a 2006 gl1800.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like the 1800 is fantastic. The one thing I hate about buying anything is everybody and their brother only has one redundant question. "How much did it cost"? I could lie and say $5000 and still everyone would say "wow, that's a lot of money, I could buy a nice car for that". Yes sure you could. Bye, bye. On to the next.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

"How much did it cost"? I hear that everytime I mention last weekend's "date"

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
imported post

RonKZ650 wrote:
Thanks for the replies. Sounds like the 1800 is fantastic. The one thing I hate about buying anything is everybody and their brother only has one redundant question. "How much did it cost"? I could lie and say $5000 and still everyone would say "wow, that's a lot of money, I could buy a nice car for that". Yes sure you could. Bye, bye. On to the next.
When I sold my '63 Chevy II everyone asked "How much did you get for it?" My answer is "enough." It's none of their business. If you want it, get it.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

if you dumplin ur 1200 i'll be happy to keep it :)!!!

the 1800 for sure is a great machine, you will not look back to the 1200

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

I moved from an 84 Aspencade straight up to the 1800.

It worked like this - we bought Christine an 1800 CSC trike from another member of our club and I rode it home. I still had the 1200 at the time which I really liked and used every day for work.

Anyway, when I got Christine's trike home, I was struggling to get the grin out of the helmet. I said to her "If the bike is half as good as this, then I have to get one."

I did, now on my 2nd 1800. You get better range, better handling all round and the biggest bonus is that you don't have to worry about that imprecise wobble or ander or whatever you call it at 5 MPH. Of course, there is 20 odd years of technology between them, but the 1200 was a great ride and held its own in today's traffic. I still think the 1200 is pretty and the fairing was designed to look good but didn't do much to keep the weather off. The 1800 fairing keeps the weather of you pretty well and those headlights are awesome.

Downsides? Well, the 1200 had much more luggage space, parts were mostly cheaper, air filter was alot easier to get at.

Love the 1800, I think if I saw my old 1200 come up for sale again, I would like to buy it and maybe restore back to original.

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
imported post

Hi Ron

I went from a 1980 GL 1100 to an 08 the difference is amazing. The power and the brakes are in a whole new class. I have to admit I like the old saddle bags better. If you do it I doubt you'll regert it.

Good Luck Tom

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thanks again for all the good words. I've worked a deal to buy a new 08 with the nav/comfort pack. I'll have it in 7-10 days!

·
Premium Member
1,081 Posts
imported post

RonKZ650 wrote:
Thanks again for all the good words. I've worked a deal to buy a new 08 with the nav/comfort pack. I'll have it in 7-10 days!
Congratulations on your decision. Make sure you give us a picture of her so we can enjoy your new ride along with you. :waving:

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
imported post

Hey Ron,
Absolutely LOVED my 84 Aspy. Lots of luggage space, crisp and clean handling, all the power I thought I ever needed.
My 08 1800, handles like a DREAM, more low end power than I thought possible. Don't like the seat and wish there was more space for stuff.
Not for nothing... Sorry I waited so long to get an 1800. Do wish I opted for the comfort package.
Think you will thoroughly enjoy the 1800. No regrets here.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Thanks erinpiper. What kind of Kawasaki do you have? I'm stuck on Kawasaki's and have 4 KZ650s, 2 KZ1000s, and old H2 too. KZ1000 ran from 1977-up, so I doubt you have a 1973. Maybe a Z1 900 bored to 1000;)

·
Premium Member
175 Posts
imported post

RonKZ,
I was still in high school while riding the 1000. Probably was around 1977, come to think of it, when I had that bike. Was told it was a 1973 when I bought it and I was still rather naive about bikes at that time. :dude::dude:
I will have to do some research into what it actually was. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Just as an update, I got the 84 Aspencade fixed last weekend for the 30th time and rode 100 miles or so this week. Thinking this is a nice motorcycle, which it is. Well I got the new 1800 today, and there is no comparison.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
imported post

Ron,
You will love the 1800, I went from an 85 Aspencade to a 2003 GL1800. I would recommend that you purchase the Baker hand wings they will keep your hands a lot warmer in the cool Colarado weather. They also keep some of the buffeting off your passenger. Here is a link to their site.
http://www.bakerbuilt.com/gl1800 gold wing.htm
Joe

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

[align=center]RonKZ650 wrote:
Just as an update, I got the 84 Aspencade fixed last weekend for the 30th time and rode 100 miles or so this week. Thinking this is a nice motorcycle, which it is. Well I got the new 1800 today, and there is no comparison.
Congratulations
Do not forget
You should stop and purchase
a roll
of Gorilla Tape
To
Keep that smile under control.

Kit
[/align]

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.