Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello,

I have an 84 Aspencade that shorts out the battery when the headlight fuse is plugged in. When I pull the fuse I don't seem to have any problems. The fuse seems fine. I have taken it to a couple of mechanics here in town and they have not been able to figure out the problem. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

·
Administrator
26,541 Posts
imported post

What do you mean by "shorts out the battery"? If there is a "short" the fuse should blow. If it is running the battery down slowly with the engine running you have a charging system problem, not a short.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

With the headlight fuse in there, when I try to start the bike it drains the battery immediately so that only the dash lights, the radio, and the headlight works and the bike will not turn over at all. When I pull the headlightfuse, everything works as normal except the headlight which obviouslyhinders my ability to drive at night. Thanks for your responses.

·
Administrator
26,541 Posts
imported post

You have a poor connection somewhere and the extra load of the lights is causing it to not get enough power to the starter circuit, possibly the ignition switch is going bad.

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
imported post

I think your headlight should cut off when you press the start button/switch. After starting, can you then replace the fuse and the charging system works OK?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.