Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I just got the bike it sat quite awhile. I do hear a valve tick. Can the valves be adjusted on the 1200?

It runs good at high end. have problems at low end and idle. I can hear a little pop from the engine or carbs at low speed almost lugging the motor in traffic.

Is it hard to put valve stem seals in on this bike? Get some smoke sitting over nite

Bike does not idle well.
Where should I start.

Thanks
Newbie RIch

·
Administrator
26,996 Posts
imported post

You need to start with cleaning the carbs. A can of Seafoam might help a lot and is worth a try before tearing into the carbs.
The valves on 1200s are hydraulic so no adjustment. Put a pint of Marvel mystery oil in the engine and run it a couple hundred miles then change the oil.
Smoking after sitting overnight is a normal thing for 4 cyl wings. Park it on the center stand and see if it still smokes. Probably won't. Valve seals are not too hard but it may not help either.
If you don't know the age of the timing belts you should change them ASAP.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
imported post

That may not be a valve tick you hear. Carbs. may need to be syncronized. Wings make strange sounds when carbs are out of sync. That popping and lugging is a sign of bad sync. Also air cut off valve makes them pop as you slow down. That's good advice from Bob about carb cleaningand center stand placement. When youturn your engine off hold bike at level position for a fewmoments. Take time to remove your helmet and gloves or other clothing. This gives the oil time to run back in engine away from heads. Hey it works for me and that'spositive in my book. Hang in there you'll get it right.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

Thanks for the advice I will order some timing belts. The bike is 25 year old only has 29,000 miles it. But age is the factor.. thanks

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

I will get the seafoam is there any special ways to use it or just follow the directions?

·
Premium Member
1,328 Posts
imported post

Nope, just follow the directions. You'll find the 1200 is an excellent bike! A lot of fun in the turns and easy to throw around once you're moving.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.