Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Since I have owned my Aspy I have had to keep it partially choked or it dies at idle and backfires during deceleration, I replaced the air cut-off valve but that did nothing. any help will be greatly appreciated.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Your bike is trying to tell you the carbs need cleaning. If it needs choke at idle, it's not getting enough fuel through the idle circuits. Take a look at your spark plugs to make sure the engine is not running too lean overall. I'd guess the cure is to do a thorough cleaning of the carbs, you could try running a product like Seafoam through first, you might get lucky, but probably it's going to take a manual clean up.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Paul is right, carbs will need cleaning. You should notice an improvement in general performance as well as better idling afterwards.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

The guys are on the spot... Carbs are plugging up with varnish.. SeaFoam is the perfect first choice for initial cleaning. Run several tanks thru the engine and just follow the instructions on the can..

You can do a quick visual by pulling the drain screws (if any) from the carb bowls. Put a clean white rag under each one and look for sediment. If you have any, the carbs should be pulled, stripped and cleaned.

Remember to balance the carbs after you re-install them to the engine.

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help. I've never heard of seafoam, Can I get it at most auto parts stores?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

NAPA stores usually have it.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Bigeesteve wrote:
Since I have owned my Aspy I have had to keep it partially choked or it dies at idle and backfires during deceleration, I replaced the air cut-off valve but that did nothing. any help will be greatly appreciated.
Bigeesteve, if the engine runs acceptable at constant cruise & runs good at all but idle speeds & acel. your problem is probably in the pilot jet channels or slow air jets.

Before pulling those carbs you might try removing the pilot jet adjusting needles & spraying some carb cleaner in through the pilot jet needle channels. Be sure to count the number of turns to seat those needles BEFORE removing them so you can get them back where they are now.

In a lot of cases a good cleaning of the pilot jets will improve your idle & acceleration. If you do attempt to do those pilot jets with the carbs on the bike don't use a high pressure air blow gun to blow them out as that could collapse the carb floats due to extreme high internal carb pressures.

When those pilot jets are clean, then do a pilot jet idle drop adjustment & re-balance the carbs.

Twisty

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.