Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all,

New owner here of an old bike. Purchased last year at the end of the season. 18K on it, dusty and a bit cranky (sometimes backfires) Previous owner didn't ride it much (obviously) but swore he kept the oil changed regularly. Did he ? Who knows. Changed the plugs, put a few bottles of Techron and it seemed somewhat better.

Didn't get much time to play with it before winter, didn't do much with it over the winter either. Seemed to run ok the few times I had it out, but the last few times when it was hot I noticed the clutch slipping under load at higher RPM's. Then it started to escalate slightly until I put it away.

So it sat until this past week. Started it up and it doesn't really want to move. With the clutch all the way out, I can actually keep the bike from moving with my feet holding it back. Not good.

So hopefully someone can give a rookie owner an idea where to start ? I'm not too thrilled at taking it to the dealer (assuming I could even get it there under its own power). I'm sure it would take months and cost more than its worth. I'm not totally useless with tools, I'm hoping its something I can deal with.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Tom

Here she is the first day home

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

Hi Tom and welcome to the forum. It sounds like you are going to have to replace the clutch. No way out other than pulling the egine and just getting stuck in to it. :waving:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Hi Tom and welcome to a brilliant site, with experts in every field, who will be sure to get you through this and any other problems you get. Nice bike, worth getting right.

Have you tried the adjustment at the clutch cable, or am I teaching my grandmother to suck eggs? I am sure it won't be long before a Guru steps in and solves it for you, sorry I can't be of any more help, but I am about as useless at mechanics as a chocolate fireguard!

Pete

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

vfpsql wrote:
Hello all,

New owner here of an old bike. Purchased last year at the end of the season. 18K on it, dusty and a bit cranky (sometimes backfires) Previous owner didn't ride it much (obviously) but swore he kept the oil changed regularly. Did he ? Who knows. Changed the plugs, put a few bottles of Techron and it seemed somewhat better.

Didn't get much time to play with it before winter, didn't do much with it over the winter either. Seemed to run ok the few times I had it out, but the last few times when it was hot I noticed the clutch slipping under load at higher RPM's. Then it started to escalate slightly until I put it away.

So it sat until this past week. Started it up and it doesn't really want to move. With the clutch all the way out, I can actually keep the bike from moving with my feet holding it back. Not good.

So hopefully someone can give a rookie owner an idea where to start ? I'm not too thrilled at taking it to the dealer (assuming I could even get it there under its own power). I'm sure it would take months and cost more than its worth. I'm not totally useless with tools, I'm hoping its something I can deal with.
Tom, it sure sounds like you will need to go into the clutch (you won't need to pull the engine unless the clutch basket is also bad)..

Before tearing into the clutch I would remove the bolts holding the clutch slave cylinder to the rear of the engine & pull the slave out a ways. Then see if the clutch still slips, if so it's into the clutch you go. If by chance the clutch pulls good with the slave cylinder pulled out then maybe the slave piston is sticking in it's bore & holding the clutch partially dis-engaged.

Another thing to try is: loosening the clutchhydraulic line at the hand lever master cylinder to see if that will allow the clutch to fully engage. It's possible the take-up port in the master cylinder is plugged with dirt or gunk & not allowing the master cylinder to bleed off at full release position (maybe try this option first as it is the easiest).. CAUTION: don't get any clutch (brake) fluid on your paint as that will permanently damage the paint..

There is also a very slight chance you have other woes like a slipping drive shaft spline or a failed out-put dampener but if that were the case you would probably have some snapping or other noise in conjunction with the slipping.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
Hi Tom and welcome to a brilliant site, with experts in every field, who will be sure to get you through this and any other problems you get. Nice bike, worth getting right.

Have you tried the adjustment at the clutch cable, or am I teaching my grandmother to suck eggs? I am sure it won't be long before a Guru steps in and solves it for you, sorry I can't be of any more help, but I am about as useless at mechanics as a chocolate fireguard!
Pete, no clutch cable on the 84 Wing, (it's hydraulic)..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
imported post

Tom A bit more info on the bike would help I know on the 84-87 1200 there's no clutch adjustment you have to pull the motor to replace the clutch

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Thanks Twisty, just shows how out of date I am, I'll stick to winding people up on the discussion forum, sure is good to know guys like youwill be here when I get stuck with my 1500!

Sorry Tom, hope I didn't get you leaping around in the garage, looking for something you haven't got.:gunhead:.

Pete

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

wingwarrior wrote:
Tom A bit more info on the bike would help I know on the 84-87 1200 there's no clutch adjustment you have to pull the motor to replace the clutch
wingwarrior, no, you don't have to pull the engine for a clutch replacement (disks or plates). It does have to come out for a clutch basket replacement though.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Pete,

I only wish I was out the door that quick! I did have to think about it for a minute though;) BTW I live next to a town called Croydon, always wondered where that name came from.

Twisty,

Thanks for the things to check, obviously I'd be thrilled at it being one of the simpler things to fix, but if it comes down to it I'll go 'clutch diving'. I've read where people mention not having to drop the engine to do the plates, haven't come across the exact procedure yet but I'm sure I will as I can easily get lost reading for hours. Sure is a lot of helpful people here and lots on information, I'm sure I'll come across it.

I am somewhat suprised to have that problem so early on, but then again I guess it doesn't take much to burn out a clutch if you aren't using it properly. Based on reading it also seems I may have a starter rebuild in my future as well. I have another bike to help fill in the gaps (Madura) but would certainly like to get this back on the road before the season is over.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Tom, don't trust anyone from Croydon, they give you wrong information!:X Glad to hear you didn't go out looking like I would have done!:baffled::goofygrin:

Pete

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Mr.1200,

I haven't check much of anything yet. The weather this week has been a bit unstable and by the time I get out to look at it, the storms roll in. Supposed to be nicer this weekend and plan on setting up a canopy to work under for this 'project'.

Thanks for the offer of a walk through. Once I do the initial checks I may be taking you up on that.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Make sure the clutch master cylinder is not holding pressure. If I had your problem, here's what I would do: squeeze the clutch and release. Then stuff a large rag under and around the hose fitting at the master cylinder. Now, crack the hose connector bolt loose and see if fluid squirts out. It may leak out, but shouldn't squirt out. If it does, you may just have a problem with the clutch master cylinder.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Hey Tom, I kinda think it's more likely to be a problem with a stuck clutch release, like Mr. 1200 and johnmac said, it's unlikely the clutch would be bad withso few miles on the bike. My current Wing has 94,000 miles and the clutch is still fine. I'd crack the bleeder on the clutch slave and let the pressure off and see what happens. You also might want to get hold of a Clymer Manual for your bike, it's almost a necessity.

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

Tom, here is a look at that take-up port in the master cylinder that (if plugged)could allow fluid pressure to be trapped in the clutch hydraulic system. What that hole does is allow any remaining fluid pressure in the hydraulic system to befully released when the hand lever is in the released position. It also allows morefluid to enter the system on each new stroke (only if needed)..

Riding that bike last year with a slipping clutch probably didn't do it any good so you mightalso have damagethere from all that heat build up from slipping.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

The more I read your opinions, the more I'm beginning to thinkthe clogged/cruddy hydraulics make the most sense. I rode it <maybe> 4 times once I noticed the slipping last year, and they were fairly short trips around the neighborhood. Considering how 'fast' it lost it, it doesn't seem likely the clutch itself would go that fast ?

Which of course means it will be.:gunhead:

Twisty thanks for the pic, helps when you know what to look for.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
imported post

I bought an 1100 a few months ago that was also difficult to move. I suspected wheel bearings but it turned out that both brakes had frozen onto the disk. I remove the front caliper and the wheel spun freely. I checked the rear wheel and it was definetly binding. In my case of course I will be rebuilding the calipers. I've heard this is not an uncommon occurence with "sitters".

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.