Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hello all,

New owner here of an old bike. Purchased last year at the end of the season. 18K on it, dusty and a bit cranky (sometimes backfires) Previous owner didn't ride it much (obviously) but swore he kept the oil changed regularly. Did he ? Who knows. Changed the plugs, put a few bottles of Techron and it seemed somewhat better.

Didn't get much time to play with it before winter, didn't do much with it over the winter either. Seemed to run ok the few times I had it out, but the last few times when it was hot I noticed the clutch slipping under load at higher RPM's. Then it started to escalate slightly until I put it away.

So it sat until this past week. Started it up and it doesn't really want to move. With the clutch all the way out, I can actually keep the bike from moving with my feet holding it back. Not good.

So hopefully someone can give a rookie owner an idea where to start ? I'm not too thrilled at taking it to the dealer (assuming I could even get it there under its own power). I'm sure it would take months and cost more than its worth. I'm not totally useless with tools, I'm hoping its something I can deal with.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Tom

Here she is the first day home

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Thanks for the replies so far guys.

Pete,

I only wish I was out the door that quick! I did have to think about it for a minute though;) BTW I live next to a town called Croydon, always wondered where that name came from.

Twisty,

Thanks for the things to check, obviously I'd be thrilled at it being one of the simpler things to fix, but if it comes down to it I'll go 'clutch diving'. I've read where people mention not having to drop the engine to do the plates, haven't come across the exact procedure yet but I'm sure I will as I can easily get lost reading for hours. Sure is a lot of helpful people here and lots on information, I'm sure I'll come across it.

I am somewhat suprised to have that problem so early on, but then again I guess it doesn't take much to burn out a clutch if you aren't using it properly. Based on reading it also seems I may have a starter rebuild in my future as well. I have another bike to help fill in the gaps (Madura) but would certainly like to get this back on the road before the season is over.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
imported post

Mr.1200,

I haven't check much of anything yet. The weather this week has been a bit unstable and by the time I get out to look at it, the storms roll in. Supposed to be nicer this weekend and plan on setting up a canopy to work under for this 'project'.

Thanks for the offer of a walk through. Once I do the initial checks I may be taking you up on that.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
imported post

The more I read your opinions, the more I'm beginning to thinkthe clogged/cruddy hydraulics make the most sense. I rode it <maybe> 4 times once I noticed the slipping last year, and they were fairly short trips around the neighborhood. Considering how 'fast' it lost it, it doesn't seem likely the clutch itself would go that fast ?

Which of course means it will be.:gunhead:

Twisty thanks for the pic, helps when you know what to look for.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.