Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Good day all,

Would like some advice on my 84 Aspy. As I purchased this bike in Mar 05 I felt that I should probably change the timing belts as per the constant advice of this site (To be done next week). However I have noticed some noise coming from the rh side of the engine. Noise seems to be consistent with low torque (just maintaining current speed with RPM in the area of 2200-2900). As power is applied the noise seems to diminish. The noise will now happen about 80-90% of the time. Bike runs great other than this. My thoughts are that maybe the tension is loose on the rh belt. As I said I am replacing the belts next week.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Bob

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

Hi Bob, it could well be the tensioner going dry. You can check this easier when you pull the belt covers off. Running the engine for a minute with the radiator out won't do any harm and will make it easier to isolate the noise.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

Hey Wicker:waving:My 1200 makes a noise that seems to be there only at 2100 to 2500rpms, it does not matter what gear, after I put on new timing belts, I got the right one a little too tight, I loosened it and the whine noise went away, but I believe the noise I am now hearing is just normal engine noise for these bad boys, when I am out of the 2100-2500 range the engine is very quite. I do not worry about it anymore. That is not to say you should do the same.

:12red::cool:

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Heck, mine rattles like a bag of bolts, but it still keeps running....190,000+ k. In fact just returned from a spin trying out my new GPS. Now when I get lost :) :) :) I will know where I am lost :) :) :)

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Eamonn 1200,

Thanks for the reply. I am hoping it is the tensioner. I am replacing the belts so it would be a great time to check out the tensioner.

Thanks again, and I will let you know how it turns out next week.

Bob

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

Bob, you didn't say what the noise was like. A whining or dry rough sound would most likely be the tensioner, whereas a tapping sund would be the hydraulic tappets.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Norman,
The best way that I can describe the noise is as if an exhaust valve was opening slightly out of sequence (only on the right side). Noise sounds exhausty I guess. Checked exhaust and found all OK. Bike was in the shop for belt change (old belts and hopes of noise fault) and was to bring it home tonight, severe thunder and hail has pre-empted the pickup until tomorrow am. Shop did however say that the tensioners were like new. They and I are hoping that one belt may have been stretched causing timing fault when not under load.

Will post findings after pick up

Bob

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Still a chance it's an exhaust gasket on the right header or a bad gasket between the muffler and header. Usually mechanical problems with the valve train don't sound 'exhausty' but leaks do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.