Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

Does anyone happen to have a copy of the Service Bulletin for the recall for the ignition switch on the 84 that shows VIN numbers? I went to the dealer today and had them run my VIN and it came back that there wasn't any pending recalls for my bike. I explained my problem to him which is (totally shutting down the whole bike randomly on its own like if you had reached up and turned the key off). He said it sounds exactly like what the recall for the ignition swith describes. But since my VIN didnt show any pending recalls he couldnt do anything about it. But he said if I could find the recall info showing the VIN numbers affected and if mine fell into it he would fix it. I cant ride it if its just gonna shut completely down going down the road, and I mean completely down lights and all. No power to anything. Any help would be appreciated. I have found the recall information on it but nothing that shows what VIN numbers are affected. Thanks in advance.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
As far as I can find only those 1200's produced before June 1984 are subject to the recall.

What is the date on your VIN tag?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
My VIN tag shows October 83
Well yours is a month older than my Interstate.:claps:

Again from what I've read if you feel the bottom of the switch and it's smooth it's the switch that was recalled, if it has a rib down the centre it's the replacement switch.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
from what i can feel mine has a rib but it doesn't go down the center it is in sort of a circlular shape. The guy at the dealer said that my VIN showed no pending recalls so I wonder if that means its already been done?

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Yes. It probably has been done. However, this is a recall, not a campaign or service bulletin. If you can find a vin number list that verifies your bike, it should get fixed as many times as it goes bad. Which is probably why the dealer "volunteered" to repair it.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
My 1984 Interstate is manufactured 10/83.
I went to the local stealer here and he told me it was not listed.
Spent a few days "looking" and then came back with nope not able to find anything on that bike needing a new switch and none available anyway. Less than 3 months ago.

I bought a good complete lock set off fleebay out of a 1987 got a good deal and they work great.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
glhonda- i showed my guy at honda that exact same bulletin and he kept going back to what his computer was telling him just like what BigBro is talking about. but i didnt have the build date at the time so i guess i'll go back tomorrow and throw the build date at him.

BigBro- sounds like im gonna come out of this just like you did with Honda not honoring the recall

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Jaybobren, I was so frustrated at that point having a tie strapped ignition that was failing and being told, no joy. won't go back to that one again.

Went on fleebay and there was a set that seemed reasonable and in decent shape. Figred this wa the most expedient method and it must surely be a sign. I made the guy an offer of about 2/3 of what he was asking he took it.

Others listed as sets looked horrible and wanted 3-5x the price. This set other than being off an 87 looked just about the same chrome condition as mine which I would expect for a 26yr old chrome item.

anyway good luck, ymmv.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
ok guys its been a couple days but i finally got a chance to tinker with the wing. i pulled the ignition switch off to find that the repair had been made to it and i took the cover off the back to inspect the contacts. everything looked good there. so i moved on to the dogbone fuse which i should have done first. when i pulled the side cover off to get to it the first thing i saw was orange silicon holding the cover on for the fuse. i thought oh boy what do we have here? then i noticed that the plug on top of the solenoid was gone and the individual wires had been converted to plug directly on to each individual spade. so i got them all unpluged to find that the solenoid has been getting pretty hot. hot enough to melt the plastic part of the solenoid. so im pretty sure i have found my problem. i was just gonna do the fusable link modification and do away with the dog bone but with the way the rest of the solenoid looks i think i'll just buy the aftermarket one on ebay for like 15 bucks. any thoughts??

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
As bad as that solenoid looks, I think I'd get one with a spade fuse and forget the inline fuse holder. You already have the individual spade connections on there now. Should be plug and play.
For what it's worth, I did the inline fix on my '78. Except I used a manual reset circuit breaker. Don't have to carry extra fuses. (remember the early wings still used the old fashioned glass buss fuses?)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.